Disposal of excess soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I think this is a longshot but does anyone know of a way to get rid of a huge pile of dug up earth other than whacking it in a skip? Are there any chemicals which can break it down, or some gardening trick I could use?

It's not for reasons of laziness that I ask by the way; the problem is it's in my back garden, and my house is terraced. I'm hoping to avoid carrying it all through the house to put it in a skip, as I don't want to create any mess inside.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
dependant on the amount
and wether its top soil you may be able to pass it on to your neibours for there use[remove a fence panel]

if you have rear access put your earth in the big nylon sling sacks and craned away[lorry with hook attachment]
or get it to an area near the fence and get a grab lorry to lift it over the fence

Tie your trouser bottoms up & put it in your trouser legs, slowly release it as you walk down the road.
I have spent a futune over the past 12mths buying top soil. Oh Well

Sponsored Links
Give the garden a make over and build some raised beds :D

No rear access, the neighbour idea is a no go, and I don't want to re-use it for anything, hence me trying to get rid of it.

Talking about a hell of a lot of the stuff by the way, probably three tonnes by the time I've finished.

Start moving it now. The hoisted sack things are a good idea, less unsightly than a skip and you can put them where you want.

My old dad wheelbarrowed earth from the new patio site down the end of the garden, now some other poor sod has to wheelbarrow it all the way back to get rid of it.

If it's really topsoil, you can put an ad in your local paper and invite people to take it away, I wouldn't want strangers wandering through my house with barrows, though, so you'll probably have to shift it to the front yourself.

You might load it into buckets to carry through the house, but shift them in the barrow through the garden. You'll end up with muscles like popeye (or a bad shoulder).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back