Diverter valve diaphragm

U

ukdan

Firstly i'd like to apologise for starting a new thread for this one but i just need a yes or no. My combi is a Worcester 24CDi and i'm not getting any hot water. While i've been waiting for the engineer i had a bit of a read and a poke around. My question is this...If the plunger on the DV doesn't come out far enough to active the microswitch, is it likely to be a problem with the diaphragm? I did open a tap and push the switch with a screwdriver (carefully, of course) and the boiler sparked up so i know its not the switch. Also, would it be possible for a semi-competent, mechanically-minded person to do this work?
Cheers again fellas.

Sponsored Links
ukdan said:
My question is this...If the plunger on the DV doesn't come out far enough to active the microswitch, is it likely to be a problem with the diaphragm?

Yes very common

ukdan said:
Also, would it be possible for a semi-competent, mechanically-minded person to do this work?
Cheers again fellas.

If you have got half a day spare and a lot of patience. A diyer i would expect to take between 3-6 hours

like i said on your other thread this isnt really a job for the novice no matter how good an engineer he is. there are many pitfalls waiting for you on this boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Still waiting for the engineer so i guess i'll just take my plumbing engineers hat off and let him do the work. For a princely sum, no doubt. Thanks again.

If you find you can push the pin back in with the flat of a screwdriver, then yes, it's the diaphragm not a stuck mechanism.
It's diy-doable (I remember my first!) but the manual isn't exact, and you might well end up with a leak.

I dont see why the pin should be sticking out? If the diaphragm has failed then they usually resolutely stay fully in !

On many models its reasonabely straightforward for a boiler engineer and some DIYers certainly manage the repair.

We charge £106 inclusive of a service in the London area,

Tony

Hi fellas.

Thanks for all this help. The pin in the DV seems a bit sticky but when i turn a tap on i can pull it out with some pliers but it feels spongy, like it wants to go back in. I'm guessing thats a water pressure thing. I managed to get the water heater to stay on by using some sticky-backed plastic and an old jam jar so i could have a shower. I noticed the rads warmed up a bit tho. Anyway, I'm going to look into getting the bits and maybe trying it myself. I have the original manufacturers installation and serving guide to follow. Sods law says it'll all fall apart in my hands!!!! BG quoted £156 for the job, btw.

There are lots of fiddly plastic bits to be careful of and watch you don't loose any screws. It's not particulary diffcicult if acces is easy, otherwise its just damn frustraing.

3156 is not a bad price. It depends on your value of time. I always consider how much i could be earning whilst I'm doing something else. If I mentally conclude that DIY'ing is more enjoyable and cost effective than sitting down and wirting invoices/estimates then I shall. If the "can I be a7sed" equation falls the other way then I call someone in - bit like mowing my lawn. £40 for someone else to do it is a better option than me faffing around with the mower. Instead I woyld be sending out a couple of invoices and catching up on radio.

Agile said:
I dont see why the pin should be sticking out? If the diaphragm has failed then they usually resolutely stay fully in !

Tony

if the diaphragm is stretched then you will be able to push it back in tony.

Bought the new DV and fitted it myself. No wonder plumbers charge so much. They must go through a set of knees a week!!!! Thanks for all your advice fellas.

I rang a Worcester engineer and was quoted £190 + VAT. Made a bit of a saving but my knees won't ever be the same again!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back