DIY disaster pictures not wanted

Sponsored Links
To me, this was almost a disaster, being a guitarist. I just stopped concentrating for a second whilst cutting some floor edging. I put the bit of wood to one side and put my finger on the saw instead. I will never drink San Miguel and use my mitre saw in the same session again. It was a case of a little bit more pressure, or a tenth of a second later, and that would have been straight through. God i'd have had to become a drummer or something?

ToocloseJohn.jpg

nearly... nearly....

You were lucky there. I also used to play the guitar until I was using a knife which slipped and it went right through the side of my left index finger, through the next finger and out the other side. Cut some tendons which never properly recovered after 2 operations.

Are you not supposed to push the timber through with a piece of notched batten?
Oh dear, a very good friend had a business involving wood machining, he escaped injury of any kind until he was in his 40's, then bang 2 fingers and part of thumb... in an instant !! .. On the bright side he then continued working til retiring in late 50's .. no further losses !!
:cool: Mind you, he had 3 less digits to get in the way...
:D

Sponsored Links
There is a distinct advantage to handtools: it is pretty difficult to tenon-saw your fingers off without noticing very early on!

People have lost arms in electric mitre saws before now, and will continue to do so.

Watch those high speed tools .... and their quality ... Potential shrapnel.
Although I do talk from engineering experience not wood butchering.
We only went 25,000 rpm core coolant delivery, small but heavy tools, when they shattered the machining centre guards were dented.
:mad:

I think the sentiments expressed here are correct, a lot of the DIY power tools now are much more powerful / readily available than they used to be. I would hazard a guess that a lot of DIY'ers are not fully aware of the damage that can be done to oneself with even some of the more innocuous looking tools. Fortunately I've only ever given myself mild abrasions / burns using any of my tools. (Oh and glued myself to a floor!!)

Watch those 'disc' cutters, (tell me about 'elastic wheels') too, talk about shrapnel ... Remember those who maybe looking on !!
Been watching a brickie - no goggles, no gloves, no face mask .... using disc cutter in an enveloping cloud of concrete dust and debris... sooner or later... :p :p

I have a Dremel. The cutting discs on these are very thin, as they are intended for small, fine work. However, they spin very fast, I think it is something like 30k rpm on full whack.

They shatter VERY easily. Cutting a 120mm diameter circular hole in 2mm aluminium I went through several. When they shatter, the fragments fly off for a good 20 feet.

As they are very lightweight, I doubt the fragments would penetrate skin, but they could cause considerable eye damage... how many people use Dremels thinking "only a tiny little tool", no eye protection?

We're talking about the obvious damage here, but how many of you bang in nails without wearing ear protection :?: :!: I couldn't do anything without my ear guards now. I never have a headache because of banging noises now.

You could have used a tank cutter.
e.g. MONUMENT 79K TANK CUTTER
This one would cut to 125mm .. 40 rpm max sounds nice and steady, looks useful too.
13462.jpg

Looks pretty sturdy .. never used one tho.

I seem to manage to inflict quite a few injuries on myself from soldering irons, usually causes by being careless

Oh, and I have a slight phobia of holesaws every since one jammed and the drill flew out from my hands :oops:

Sloow machining needed ... nice and gentle does it every time !

Adam_151 said:
Oh, and I have a slight phobia of holesaws every since one jammed and the drill flew out from my hands :oops:

empip said:
Sloow machining needed ... nice and gentle does it every time !

correct me if i am wrong, but i somehow got it into my head that the faster you spin something, the less likely it is to jam up. Holesaws for example. Going slow, it is going to catch every knot and irregularity in the wood . . going faster, it will saw through these, or at least find a way past them. It has more rotational momentum, if you get my drift.

Excuse me ...? I thought we were talking Aluminium... not any knots in that as far as I know !!
I think we are using generic name 'hole saw', my picture ain't a saw unless I cannot see the teeth... 'Tis more a 'boring' tool.
Would you use this on wood ??? Single tooth cutting? Need some rpm as you say..
Not too safe in a hand tool I would think, metal or wood.

I would have thought a 'true', multi point hole saw for wood.??

holesaw.jpg

And this 'un, single point tool for metal.. Just about 'hand tool' for aluminium .. prefer pillar type tho'

13462.jpg

I have a single-point cutter like that for tiles.

I did experiment trying a wood holesaw on mild steel, but all it did was scratch the surface and make some lovely sparks!!! A holesaw to cut ally was far to much. I even considered asking the machine boys at work if they would mind doing it. But since someone was turning out copies of a particularly expensive tool for Ford engines they aren't allowed to do that sort of thing anymore. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back