DIY rookies - doing up a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mr and I own a 15 year old house we have been renting out. We're inbetween tenants at the moment, and doing some work to it, as it was a bit on the tired side. We may get new tennants in afterwards, or we may sell. Not sure yet. We're laying laminate downstairs, recarpeting upstairs, and paiting all the rooms.

The downstairs is suffering from a good dose of flaking/bubbling dry paint (plasterboard underneath). We have tried sanding these down with a normal DIY sander, but it's a bit of a job, and the surface is still pretty uneven. HSS wants £93 for a big industrial sander that would take all the paint off down to the plaster. Presumably a PVA layer or other sealant base layer would be the best and then paint? Is HSS taking the p*ss with their super duper sander (anyone have one BTW?)?

The bathroom has a nasty old suite in it, and we need a new mixer shower tap on it as it is broken. Plumbing thick as we are, we'd need a plumber to sort the tap out. Would it cost a lot more for him to fit a new suite if we had it all here and ready? Trying not to go wild in case it goes back on the rental market, but also thinking of resell value if we sell up. Would look much posher with a white suite. Ideas on what is worthwhile here?

Sorry to post here...I am not that good with doing up houses, as I catch babies for a living!:D

Sponsored Links
does the plasterboard have plaster on it ?????? in my experiance if u want top value for your house change the whole suite while u r on the job ?

Paint problem fixed with sealing the flaking and putting heavy duty lining paer over. Looks very good now.

The bathroom suite willbe changed, I think. Found a very good offer on eBay, which other buyers rated very highly. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-BATH...45643562QQcategoryZ112557QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Am interested to know what someone would charge to install if we don't take the risk ourselves. Any ideas?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back