Do all victorian properties need lime render?

Sponsored Links
Ah thanks all, I can upload pictures of cracked render, but how does that help? No images show what the walls made of, ill ask a neighbour.
Some cracked render wouldn't tell us much, but a few pics of the outside of the house may give us an idea of the construction.
And as earlier, loft spaces are a good place to start looking, as they are the most bereft of decoration!
I thought that lime was just used in render though and not plastering inside?
All the houses in my terrace would have started life with exposed stone walls on the outside, and lime plastered walls on the inside.
The damp problems for my house were because gypsum plaster was skimmed over the original lime plaster on the inside, and cement render was applied to the outside - removing either one, would have helped in my case.

I hope that clears up any confusion! :)

How much per square meter should I pay for lime render anyway? Anyone know including vat wahts an average value, cheers.

Some cracked render wouldn't tell us much, but a few pics of the outside of the house may give us an idea of the construction.
And as earlier, loft spaces are a good place to start looking, as they are the most bereft of decoration!

All the houses in my terrace would have started life with exposed stone walls on the outside, and lime plastered walls on the inside.
The damp problems for my house were because gypsum plaster was skimmed over the original lime plaster on the inside, and cement render was applied to the outside - removing either one, would have helped in my case.

I hope that clears up any confusion! :)

Aw crap, so Ill have to get lime inside too, ok. im tryign to find hopw to upload an image rather than using a link.??

Sponsored Links
Plymouth, Devon
could be as low as £45/ mtr, if your’e lucky and can find someone.
Or as high as £60+ given the prices on stuff now.
Although it’s just a guess , I don’t know what the rate is in the South West.
Plasterers are charging what they want .

The only guy that evert turned up to actually look, gave me a 88 thousand quote the c***.
IMG_20211206_132246.jpg
IMG_20211231_134744.jpg
IMG_20211231_134848.jpg

okay, so any decent plasterer should be registered there then?
http://www.traditionalplasterersguild.co.uk/
Wait, there are 10 [peoples name there pmsl, I was expecting thousands!!
Wrong place heres a link there should be quite a lot here, it looks like they are still doing dinners the hall is a wonderful place there should be some pictures of it there along with plasterers names but yes god is right dont expect it to be cheap but any members there will have at least 20 years experience or have level 3 qualifications and more ive just looked and it looks like they have deleted or moved the members page but you can phone them https://plaistererslivery.co.uk/ if your that worried about getting the right person thats the place for you

could be as low as £45/ mtr, if your’e lucky and can find someone.
Or as high as £60+ given the prices on stuff now.
Although it’s just a guess , I don’t know what the rate is in the South West.
Plasterers are charging what they want .
Theres too much work around at the moment, just under 60 quid inc vat a metre plus materials around this area.

I used to live near Plymouth and from what I remember (and a quick look around Street view!), you probably have a stone built house. There isn't very much brick about at all.

Many of the front facades have faced stone with the sides being a little rougher - random example here:
Screenshot_20220114-214050_Maps.jpg
I believe the stone is mostly a local limestone and relatively hard. So isn't as susceptible to damage as some softer rocks.

...and above all, nearly every house is rendered!
It would be fair to say, that most of those buildings would by now, be rendered in sand/cement!

So the question is, do you have any problems with the house, that the use of lime will solve?

...or are you in one of Plymouth's conservation areas?
https://www.plymouth.gov.uk/plannin...signconservationandheritage/conservationareas

Last edited:
Provided that the render is not blown, a decent decorator should be able to deal with the cracks. I would angle grind the cracks and then fill them with Toupret Fibacryl followed by a top up with Toupret Touprelith F.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back