Do I Need A Room Thermostat or TRV's (or Both)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently replaced the old boiler with a Baxi 105e instant combi boiler. At the moment there's no room thermostat fitted and only a newly installed radiator with a TRV.

Is is recommended to install TRV's on all the other radiators in the house?

If I do this should I also fit a room thermostat as well, or is one not really necessary with TRV's fitted?

Without a room thermostat I was expecting the boiler to flame up (be on all the time). But it doesnt. Does the boiler have the ability to regulate the temperature and turn off when the CH temp gets a certain temp. Also like all combi boiler I guess, I have the ability to set the CH temp via a simple dial. Is this doing the same job as room thermostat then?

Is it easy to fit a thermostat if need be to this particular model? Any recommendations? Am I right in thinking the prices of the room thermostats are in the region of 15-25 quid for a decent one?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Taz.

“Never buy a dwarf with learning difficulties – It’s not big and it’s not clever."

Sponsored Links
All boilers - well, all the ones I've ever seen - have a built in thermostat to stop them from actually boiling the water. If you fit all your radiators with TRVs and leave out the room stat, the boiler will cycle on and off on its internal stat. This isn't good. Put a room stat in the room that takes the longest to warm up and don't fit a TRV to that radiator. (If you already have a TRV, turn it to maximum.)

Well said Felix. Fit a room stat, otherwise when the rads shut down the the water cannot cool the boiler jacket. The dynamic range of the gas jet is not much and it cycles constantly ... Flounder

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your prompt response felix (u have trouble sleeping as well mate :D )

Bought myself a thermostat and push fit TRV today. Fitted the TRV to the main bedroom. Well chuffed, as first time I fitted a new valve.

Got a cheapo thermostat at 13 quid, Siemens make. Should do the trick. I've got a fancy digi 7 day timer on the boiler, hence the basic thermostat. Will attempt to fit it tomorrow, or should that be today :!: (quick glance at PC clock).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back