do i need an earth wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my light fittings in the hallway and bathroom. On removing the old fittings (plastic) I've found that I have only live and neutral wires (1black, 1 red) coming from the ceiling. The new light fittings I've bought (which are metal) require an earth wire to be fitted.

My question is whether I can fit the new lights with no earth wire or will this mean the lights are 'live' (bearing in mind they are metal fittings). If I can't connect without an earth then is there any other option apart from re-wiring?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a very common problem with some of the older houses that don't have an earth in lighting circuits. One thing is for sure: Do Not - Under Any Circumstances - use a fitting designed to be earthed without an earth.

I would advise you get a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) done. For about £100 it will give you the low down on what you have, what you do not have and what needs doing - and may save your spending money piecemeal and then needing to have it redone sometime soon.

Thanks for such a quick reply. looks like my new light fittings will have to stay in their box for now!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back