Do I need an insulation layer for my underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing electric underfloor heating in my kitchen and dinning room (same room effectively, dining room is in a new extension). As I'm using the mat system, do I need an extra layer of insulation under the mat (I was thinking about using the 10mm boards), or would the mat give me the insulation I need (I don't want to spend a lot of money on heating if only the worms will benefit).

Sponsored Links
You dont make it clear what your floor construction is.

Generally about 50 mm of polystrene or equivalent is required as a minimum.

I hope you understand the characterists of UFH !!!

Tony

If you are using the mat for space heating you will need all the help you can get to make the energy dissipate where you want it. Insulation is very important.

Clearly you have lots of money, as electric UFH will make a big dent when the quarterly bills land on the doormat. All that leccy at 11p a unit :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I blame them television shows for this electric u/f heating.... its a waste of money!

:(

Provided that electric underfloor heating is put in correctly and properly insulated, the it is still an expensive means of heating...

Provided that electric underfloor heating is put in correctly and properly insulated, then it is still an expensive means of heating...

But if its not insulated at all then its a VERY expensive form of heating!

Gas is about 4p per kWH and electricity is about 13p per kWH.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back