Do I need an RCD

Y

YRC

An electrician came round to trouble-shoot an electric boiler problem and asked to see my fuse box, which consists of approx. 8 circuit breakers. I was told that the installation (which was done around 13 years ago, when the property was built) is sub-standard and that I would have to have an 'upgrade' and RCD fitted. He quoted £250.00 to have all of this done.

Do I need an RCD in my fuse box, or can I use RCD adaptor plug's for appliances such as washing machine/tumble-dryer/fridge-freezer/P.C etc...? Is an RCD a legal requirement or a safety measure?

Please help... :(

Sponsored Links
RCDs are not a legal requirement. Perhaps they are on new installations, but they certainly are not required to be fitted to existing ones.

Lack of an RCD would not be causing your boiler problem. They are nice things to have when certain problems do arise, but the boiler won't spontaneously go "eh, there's no RCD on my circuit!" *FIZZ* :LOL:

Obviously without seeing it no-one will be able to determine if it is indeed sub-standard, but if his only reason was "It is an old-style fusebox" then he is having you on. A photo will help.

Thank you so much for your speedy reply Adam. :D

I will take a picture of the fuse box today and hopefully post a picture of it tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

The boiler (immersion heater) was faulty and each time I switched it on from the control panel, a tiny spark would fly out and one of the circuit breakers would trip in the fuse box. I would re-set it and switch the bolier on again, only to have it trip again. So I kept it off for a while. The electrician came in and checked the flow electricity to the boiler and couldn't find anything with his 'magic pen'. I switched the immersion heater control on and heard a crackling sound and then the control panel stayed on!!! After many months of tripping the CB!!! No hot water though. I need a plumber now.

Sponsored Links
YRC said:
The electrician came in and checked the flow electricity to the boiler and couldn't find anything with his 'magic pen'.
Were you lucky enough to get a present for your roses from his horse?

I switched the immersion heater control on and heard a crackling sound and then the control panel stayed on!!! After many months of tripping the CB!!! No hot water though. I need a plumber now.
No - you need an electrician. Or possibly a new immersion heater element.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back