Do I tile before fitting kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be the wrong section, but a simple quick question.

Am fitting my kitchen next week, and have been thinking of ripping out the old one then tiling the floor before fitting the new units. I'm now thinking I should fit the new units first, then tile the floor last as I am not going to tile all the way to the wall beneath the units.

Sponsored Links
either will be ok so long as you tile under the appliances that require sliding in and out.

if the opportunity arises, i personally think it would be better to tile the whole floor as it's a more thorough job. no little ponds to worry about if an appliance decides to flood the kitchen. ;)

A problem will occur in the future if you decide to replace the tiles. It's a tricky decision. You need to ask yourself when you will replace the tiles and if so, maybe by this time (2070 :D), your kitchen units will need replacing too?

It would make life a lot easier if you tile whole floor first. Also, this may constitute an advantage where damp is concerned.

Tile the whole floor ;).

I'm now thinking I should fit the new units first, then tile the floor last as I am not going to tile all the way to the wall beneath the units.

Sounds to me like you are installing a free-standing kitchen :?: :confused:.

no - i would just tile to beneath the plinth up to the legs of the units.

Sponsored Links
Another vote for tiling the whole floor.
The tiles will outlast your kitchen units by far so who's to say that your next kitchen will be the exact same footprint as this one? There are far more benefits in tiling the whole floor.

I won't be living in the property for that long as I am hoping to move on in under a year.

ha ha!! Too small for myself and my girlfriend.

"I believe"

you can recommend a good brand I think you mean!

Tile whole area ...

an the other question I spoke with your girlfriend about that problem , shes moving your staying so do a good job ,lol..lol

another possibly stupid question -

if i just part tile the floor to underneath the units, can I just put the subfloor to here as well (ply on floorboards). Or does this need to go to the edges of the room?

Thanks
chris

I won't be living in the property for that long as I am hoping to move on in under a year.

Save the hassle for someone else then hehe :LOL:.

Another vote by me: Tile the whole floor ;). Don't cut corners. Do your girlfriend proud :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back