do low voltage halogens trip MCBs (/RCBOs) when they blow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do low voltage halogens trip MCBs (/RCBOs) when they blow?

my old man is having the bathroom light changed and it specifies that the circuit must be RCD protected, as everything is in bits the best thing to do seams to be putting the bathroom on its own radial and have that sat on an RCBO, (this will also future proof it for 17th edition). but the question is weather to get a B type or C type RCBO? as it a lighting circuit my first thought was to opt for a C type (providing it meet the required specs, which it will), but then looking again all the lights are CFL, LEDand low voltage halogen :evil: . i know LEDs and CFLs will be fine, but do low voltage halogens trip the MCB (or RCBO in this case) when they blow (as there is a transformer inbetween!)??

Sponsored Links
What is your definition of 'low voltage'? If I remember, in BS7671, low voltage is defined as between 50 and 1000 V AC and between 75 and 1500 V DC.
Or do you mean extra low voltage (not exceeding 50 V ac or 120 V dc ).

If you mean extra low voltage (typically 12v) then its unlikely that a lamp blowing will trip a contact breaker, unless the tranformer fries as a result.
Its also unlikely that you'll need a C curve unless you are going to use a number of torodial transformers (could cause high inrush current at switch on).

oops, yes i meant Extra Low Voltage (well Safe Extra Low Voltage if we are been picky), I wasn’t concerned about needing a C curve for power up as, like you say, electronic transformers will be used not big toroidal’s, it was more to avoid the bulb blowing tripping the MCB I am hoping to avoid. Whilst I wouldnt expect it to be a problem on SELV’s I haven’t had the experience to see if it does (I don’t like downlighters)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back