Do my joists need strengthening before laying loft boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be laying down some T&G loft boards.
Before I do that, I need to know if the joists would need strengthening.

The joists are 120*32mm cross-sections (420mm joist centres),supporting the ceilings below, spanning approximately 10m in total. These joists presumably rest on the side wall and party wall of the property.
Perpendicular to these there are also somewhat larger beams (2 beams, dividing the loft space into 3 sections), approximately 150*50mm cross-sections. These beams also have a span of approximately 10m, resting on the front and rear brick walls of the property, and there is an internal brick wall beneath them at the approximate mid-point.

Are these sufficient to support the combined weight of the boards and items that will be stored on them?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

PS. In case it helps- The property was built in the 1930s and is an upper flat. The entire building houses 4 flats in total.

Sponsored Links
what are you going to be using the converted room for? i.e. what kind of things will it be storing and how often will it have people walking on it?

sm1thson said:
what are you going to be using the converted room for? i.e. what kind of things will it be storing and how often will it have people walking on it?

This will not be a converted room as such, but will be used as storage space for the usual household stuff. This will include boxes of books and items of equipment such as computers, tv, hifi etc. I guess this would amount to a "medium" load... ?

However, people (well, probably just me as MrsPCmaniac doesn't like places that are not comfy!) will be making regular trips up there for periods of a few hours at a time in order to sort through things and possibly use the space as a bit of a "workshop" while tinkering on electronics projects etc.

Hope this clarifies things a little...

Sponsored Links
I dont really know a definitive answer as Ive not got experience in this, i asked the above question to help you help others help you.

I am in a similar situation tho and have done a bit of reading. Ive not measured my joists but they sound similar to yours, i have decided that i probably should strengthen the floor but for what i will be using it (storage and later an electronics workshop+scalextric or whatever but not a use every day room) its probably not worth it for me.

I think i will crossbatten (search on here for cross battening, counterbatten, counterbattening etc) this will help my situation with the insulation, and when screwed down spread the load of walkin more to make the floor more rigid, although the floor wont be structually any stronger it should help reduce cracked ceilings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back