Do you need primer as well as undercoat on new wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had new skirting boards fitted so it's bare wood,can i use undercoat and then gloss or do i need to use primer,undercoat and gloss.

As i've only bought undercoat and on the tin it says to use primer first,what happens if i don't,is it necessary?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly you will need to apply a knotting solution to seal any resinous bleed, primers are important in the sense that they both penatrate and raise the grain of the timber and after sanding provide the ideal base for further coats. Thinned undercoat is sometimes used to prime internal timber with no real ill effects, yet it is always best to apply the correct product.

Dec

I bought some paint when B&Q had it on 3for2 recently and one of the guys in there told me to buy undercoat,he never mentioned primer when i asked his advice,it was only after i just read the tin i realised i must need to use it,that'll teach me not to check things out myself :(

Thank you for your advice.

Any tips on what knotting solution to buy please,i've just had a quick look on Ebay.there's a Johnstones one,Rustins and Bird brand.

Sponsored Links
Not much difference with either really there are many makes around, I use either Colron or Rustins, yet as said all much the same.

Dec

Hi again

I bought some primer/undercoat from the local DIY shop,the room is approx 13 feet sq with 4 inch skirting boards.

Do you think a 750ml tin of the above will be enough,the guy in the shop said it would but i'm not convinced,the tin looks too small to do the skirting and two bits of architrave around the door.

I can never work out how much paint i will need,can anyone advise please ? :D

Well it may be, although I think you may be stretching it a little, see how you go and if you need more then you can purchase another tin.

Dec

I was thinking of taking it back and buying a larger tin,it's cheaper than buying two small ones,BUT i think he sold me that one because he didn't have any larger tins :cry:

It is always difficult to offer advice with regard to the coverage of a paint system, it will depend on how thick or thin it is applied, also the porosity of substrate it will be applied to will play a major part.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back