Dodgy decorating and radiator fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One saturday evening, just before christmas I got a phone call off my dad.

Apparently my sister and hubby were coming up for xmas and stopping. They were due in two days. Mum, in her infinite wisdom, decided that the spare bedrrom was looking a little jaded and should be redecorated so she had spent the day stripping the wallpaper so we could repaper/paint/fit new curtaisn etc on the sunday!!

I went up to help and me and dad carefully removed the radiator from the wall so they could strip behind it. Afterwards, i am on one side of the rrom trying to remove an old wardrobe while mum adn dad are rehanging the radiator.

I heard dad say lift it slowly. Mum picked up her end and lifted it a good 12 inches. Of course that meant the pipe went and water went everywhere.

After draining the system and removing the old bit of pipe my dad set to and made a ring joint (is that the right name for them?) like my grandad had taught him to. I bet my grandad would ahve remembered that if the pipe is metric, you can't use an imperial fitting tho!!!!

At nearly midnight we were trying to fit the piece for the last time and it seemed to work. Everyone went to bed but in the morning we found the pipe was still dripping.

Dad went to the loft and shouted that he ahd turned off the system so i started to drain it once again. After I had taken 14 buckets of water out of it (normally it holds only 5) i went to the loft looking puzzled to fidn the system was still turned on. It tuns out, dad had got up there, forgotten why he went up there and got distracted by a box of old tools. Worrying considering he is only 55!!!!!

After 3 days of work we finally got the room redecorated and finished just hours before company arrived. And what had they brought with them - some new curtains, wallpaper etc for the spare room as they thought last time it needed redecorating and were going to do it while they were here!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
And I'll wager your brother in law is a better plumber than your mum and dad :LOL:

He's only been an in-law for the last three months so we aren't sure yet!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back