1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Dodgy socket

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by raebhoop, 19 Jan 2014.

1. raebhoop

raebhoop

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have one single living room socket playing up...all the rest are ok.If I plug the vacuum in, it stutters on and off like a bad connection. I've not removed the socket yet for a look see,thought I'd come on here first.

I've plugged in one of these below and am a getting the continuous tone 'correct' reading. Vacuum ok in other sockets by the way.

Thoughts please....

[​IMG]

2. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Loose wires, faulty socket or both.
    Likely the fault only shows up when a decent load is connected, so that rather useless testing device will show as working.

Replace the socket.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Probably a loose connection in the socket or vacuum plug showing with the relatively high current required by the vacuum..

If all wiring connections are satisfactory then I would suspect the 'prongs' in the socket or socket switch contacts so just replace it.

5. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above it is very likely to be one of those faults, loose or damage conductor behind socket or the socket contacts are starting to fail.
    So to remedy this, you would need to identify circuit, prove it is dead,socket tester may come in handy there!
    It would also be wise after removing covers testing again with an approved voltage tester if you have loose conductors/faulty contacts.
    Once that has been done, check for loose/damaged cables, if none then a socket replacement would be the next step.

If still having intermittent power loss after the above you may have a loose/damaged connection in nearby socket/accessory that could also causing this power loss.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. raebhoop

raebhoop

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Much obliged...

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local