Dodgy wall socket or dodgy me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing the wall tiles in our kitchen and to allow me to remove a couple tucked behind a double wall socket, loosened it off. Removed the tiles and then proceeded to tighten the wall socket back up. As I was doing so, there was a loud bang and a small puff of smoke from the wall socket :eek:

I'm not too confident about this wall socket now, it's not going to be used in the new kitchen layout so how can I make it "safe" in the meantime?

Sponsored Links
the socket iself is safe, its the cables that are not. it sounds like when you screwed it back, the screw cut the live or you compresses the cables causing a short

If you intend on removing the socket then put the conductors into suitable connector blocks and fit a blanking plate.

When you get round to doing the electrics properly remove the cables in the wall so that the box can be plastered over and there will not be any cables left outside of the safe zones.

Davy

Cheers. Unfortunately I don't have any connector blocks to hand. Would it be ok to wrap them up with electrical tape and cover the hole up temporarily?

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Unfortunately I don't have any connector blocks to hand. Would it be ok to wrap them up with electrical tape and cover the hole up temporarily?

No. You must not do this.

This would cause a break in the ring circuit, leading to the circuit cables possibly being overloaded.

mparter said:

No it's not. Can you turn off the MCB supplying that circuit and check the cables for any damage? If there is no damage to the cables then terminating them back in the socket is the best option.

What have you done to the cables/socket at the moment?

Davy

The person that fitted the socket ran a cable from another socket horizontally along behind the plasterboard. This meant the cable came out behind the screwhole for the socket. This meant that when I was putting the socket back on, because there were no tiles, the screw had to go in further which caused it to cut through the insulation on the wiring.

I've taped the break in the insulation backup, moved the cable out of the way of the socket screwhole and screwed the socket back on.

I'll probably get flamed for that but what else can I do at this stage? This is only a temporary solution and I'm not planning to use the socket.

mparter said:
I've taped the break in the insulation backup, moved the cable out of the way of the socket screwhole and screwed the socket back on.

I'll probably get flamed for that but what else can I do at this stage? This is only a temporary solution and I'm not planning to use the socket.

You need to get this checked / repaired ASAP.

You may have blown the live away completely, which will have left you with an open circuit ring. This puts the entire circuit at risk of being overloaded.

RF Lighting said:
You need to get this checked / repaired ASAP.

You may have blown the live away completely, which will have left you with an open circuit ring. This puts the entire circuit at risk of being overloaded.

:cry:

Are there any "symptoms" of the above situation? Since it looks like the previous owner has simply run a cable from a nearby socket, would removing this socket and the run of cable resolve the problem?

mparter said:
Are there any "symptoms" of the above situation? Since it looks like the previous owner has simply run a cable from a nearby socket, would removing this socket and the run of cable resolve the problem?

How many cables come into the box ?

If only one cable ( with one red, black and earth ) then it is a spur socket and while the cable needs to be replaced there is no ring. The socket should not be used as the damaged cable could overheat where it was damaged.

If there are two cables ( more than one red and black ) then the ring has been compromised.

mparter said:
The person that fitted the socket ran a cable from another socket horizontally along behind the plasterboard.

Since it is a spur you can trace the feed cable back to the socket it is fed from and disconnect the wire from there. You said that socket will not be used so you won't be losing out.

Davy

Sorry, I assumed a socket on the ring. Sounds like you have a radial / spur.

You have therefore probably not compromised the ring, but you still need to get the supply to your radial checked / repaired. Do not use this socket in the mean time.

mparter said:
The person that fitted the socket ran a cable from another socket horizontally along behind the plasterboard. This meant the cable came out behind the screwhole for the socket. This meant that when I was putting the socket back on, because there were no tiles, the screw had to go in further which caused it to cut through the insulation on the wiring.
if there is only a single cable to this socket and you know where the other end is then just disconnect the other end and pull it out.

plugwash said:
mparter said:
if there is only a single cable to this socket and you know where the other end is then just disconnect the other end and pull it out.

I've blanked the sokcet off for now until the electrician comes out to do the work needed for the new kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back