Does a copper pipe system have a limited shelf life?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by george75, 10 Jun 2018.

1. Unbiased advice is helpful

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Jun 2018
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Combicert

Combicert

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Yeah - but the bad bit about a forum is that the person isnt actually there to have a look and can only go off what they see.

To continue the mechanic analogy - my mate’s a mechanic for the AA and he’s forever getting called by people who say ‘what’s this rattling noise...’ - ‘not a bloody clue until i see it’ is the usual response.

Chap on here the other day was asking why his boiler wouldnt fire up ... 3 or 4 people gave their opinion before he finally decided to get an engineer out. Turns out it was a blocked condense trap (which nobody had mentioned, myself included...). Yet, if we were on site it’d be one of the first things you’d check.

And thats the issue with forums isnt it... one person’s opinion is as valued as the next - until resolved.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yes I agree

• Like Like x 1
  5. Combicert

Combicert

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Yeah - fair point. I reckon i’m an honest person when i go out... and you know you can stick and extra few quid on some jobs - but it’s that moral compass that stops you.

Just remembered a job from a while ago where i told the woman to update the pipework - it looked knackered to me. She didn’t and every time i see her she has a smile on her face and says ‘still no leaks...’ (!). Part of me is really pleased for her - but my inner self is waiting for that one day where she calls up and says ‘heeeeeelp!!’ (5 years and counting..!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The trouble with Forum advice is you don't always get what you want to hear (been there myself on other subjects) and you can also get what you want to hear but is not sound advice cos the person giving it either doesn't know or couldn't give a f|_|ck!

I don't want to tell you that your pipework is fine because I don't know without seeing it in the raw, and even then, if it was OK'ish IMO but I thought you might be the sort to take a gamble ONLY if someone could be held accountable 2 years down the line, then I'd be inclined to judge you, rather than the pipework and advise you have it replaced!

That is my brutally honest response to such a question. I want my customers to always be happy with my service but also want to avoid being pestered for decisions they should have made, that turn out to be wrong with hindsight.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Yes that makes sense

8. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did a lot of plumbing in our house 10+ years ago, had to do some more end of last year.

The copper pipe now is much worse quality and thickness as it was back then (I had an old offcut to compare), I'd suggest if it's not leaking leave well alone as the new stuff will probably be far worse than what you already have!.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sponsored Links
  10. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There's also the philosophy of "whilst you have the opportunity"!
    When's the next time you will have everything exposed like this?!
    It's something worth considering but as I said... Its your decision really.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Good point

12. copper pipe is a very resilient product,it just needs considered installation.

edit

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jun 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Looks unusual

14. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's a creation of our resident Mr Bernard Green and @Old&Cold likes to have the occasional dig as Mr :mrgreen: does like to impress upon everyone his very own brand of plumbing and heating :LOL:

Copper can be bent to any angle but it's usually done with a bender and where it follows runs in parallel with other pipes, one would use 90°s; 45°s and offsets.
    Other angles are used when diving down behind obstacles or "little kicks" to get under/over other pipes... Usually where a weird angle won't hurt the eye :sneaky:

15. I prefer straight pipes

16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local