Does anyone know how to decommision an electric power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove my power shower in preparation for tiling the walls.
If I cut the electric and find out where the cable from the shower begins (consumer/spur unit) can I simply pull it out and turn the electric back on?

Sponsored Links
You haven't thought this through properly, have you? What about when you want to put the wire back? and you have to knock the tiles off?

Isolate the cable.

"Power shower" is one with a pump that mixes hot and cold - there should be an FCU or a small switch somewhere. If its an FCU, take the fuse out and tape over the fuse holder. If just a switch, take the wire out of the output terminals on that (turning off the power whilst doing so).

If its, in fact, an electric shower, which heats the water itself, turn off the MCB, or pull the fuse. If you do have fuses or plug-in MCBs, take the fuse holder to the shower area, and tape it to the cable. If you just have normal MCBs, turn it off, and un-do the output wires from the back of the pull cord isolation switch.

Then tape over the end of the cable (each core seperate) where it hangs off the wall, so you can tile around it.

crafty1289 said:
"Power shower" is one with a pump that mixes hot and cold - there should be an FCU or a small switch somewhere. If its an FCU, take the fuse out and tape over the fuse holder. If just a switch, take the wire out of the output terminals on that (turning off the power whilst doing so).

you should also disconnect the load side - in future, someone could put a fuse in to find out what it does

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back