Does anyone know what this is..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been stripping wallpaper in my hallway and I've come across this 'black stuff'. It doesn't appear anywhere else only on one side of wall in the hallway. I've tried scraping it off and it's difficult to do without damaging the plaster underneath. Whilst stripping the wallpaper I've noticed that the wallpaper has an additional silver paper directly onto the 'black stuff'. The house has not been decorated for 30+ years and I can only think that this black stuff has been there for a long time. I intend to use wallpaper lining and then paint over.

What is the best way to remove this black stuff? or can I just wallpaper over it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
2 thoughts here
could it be where the fireplace /chimney breast used to be

or another thought if 2/3 the way up a wall could it be soot from an old badly burning gas or oil lamp !!!!
long shot i know :D ;)

The chimney breast is in the lounge and I don't think there was any fireplace in the hallway. The wall in question is at the front of the house. I thought it might be damp or mildew but it doesn't smell. I have sent pics (but admin guys have yet to upload them). I s'pose until you see pics you'll be stabbing in the dark.

Sounds like it some sort of bituminous paint used in an attempt to cure a damp wall.

Sponsored Links
A few years ago there was a product called mega proof which was bitumen paper with a silver foil backing this was suposed to be applied where there was damp on internal walls. very hard to get off. because of the bitumen we had to use shelac knotting or "Styptic" which was another great sealer to stop it bleeding through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back