DOES THE PRESSURE OF EXPANSION VESSELS VARY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
POTTERTON PUMA 80e. PRESSURE KEEPS RISING AND NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN BEFORE THE PRV GOES. I HAVE NOW CHECKED THE EXPANSION VESSEL AND HAVE RE-PRESSURISED IT TO 0.9 bar but this seem to be insufficient.It has made a difference though and the pressure is not rising as fast as it was.It is almost back to normal. Thanks for your help so far guys. You know who you are.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the instrument you are using is not accurate in measuring the pressure (Car tyre pump?) I use a car pump but check the pressure with a somewhat better quality guage. Certainly around 1 bar is the pressure to aim for or slightly less. Try another half a bar - its will have to be try it an see. I find it best to release all pressure before repressurising showed you also what in the chamber Is it only "Air"

You MUST release all pressure in the system before re-pressurising the EV!!! Then, if all that happens when you pump it up is a faint hissing noise, you will know the EV diaphragm has had it!

The WHOLE POINT of pre-loading the EV is to maximise its capacity (by pushing the diaphragm towards the water connection). But the preload MUST NOT be greater than about half the design pressure of the system (ie about 0.5 Bar, typically), otherwise the diaphragm will not be able to move very far in the other direction when the CH system is pressurised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back