Doing my Part P course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Been looking in for a while so thought I'd register & post a question.

I'm doing a Domestic Installer Scheme Qualification at the end of Feb at one of the NICEIC centres. If I pass I should be able to go at it on my own. From what I understand I have to do 2 wiring jobs & get them inspected before I can get my NICEIC Domestic Installer sticker for my van!!.

What sort of wiring jobs would I have to do for them to come & inspect it ? I'm assuming moving a socket wouldnt be enough. My other question is, if I pass these inspections & are deemed competent to certify work in compliance with Part P, what are the limitations, i.e can I do house re-wiring or new-builds or is it limited to extensions & conservatories etc.

Cheers

Marc

Sponsored Links
Norv said:
What sort of wiring jobs would I have to do for them to come & inspect it ? I'm assuming moving a socket wouldnt be enough.

I believe its one small and one large job. A CU replacement and maybe installing an outdoor light? Your better off asking NIC what they want though.

My other question is, if I pass these inspections & are deemed competent to certify work in compliance with Part P, what are the limitations, i.e can I do house re-wiring or new-builds or is it limited to extensions & conservatories etc.

You limitations will be your severe lack of experience. (I may be wrong here so if I am I apologise) If you pass you are technically allowed to do any notifiable work within Part P but if I can offer you one bit of advice it would be: NOT to go at it alone. The part P course doesn't provide you with everything you need, all the theory knowledge in the world doesn't make up for a lack of experience. Get work with another experienced spark and see how things go from there.

Good luck, Davy

Hi davy_owen_88

Thanks for the reply, a good bit of advice there. I've had a couple of years experience working part time for a carpenter & a plumber. I even wired up a log cabin & had to get the building inspector out to certify it. I also have a HGV licence so I can fall back on that if Electrical work goes quiet.

Cheers

Marc

Hi Norv,

I am doing my part P next Fri and i have a new CU and an outside light for them to inspect,

Davy is right it is one minor (extra socket/outside light) & a major (new CU)
Make sure you know how to use your testing equipment and how to fill out the forms as they wish to see you do this,

Read up on section 7 of your regs book and have your on site guide at hand,

Good luck,

Sponsored Links
It is important to have an understanding of the reason for testing and how to interpret results

doing mine in 2 weeks ,

I have had me tester and my head stuck in books for the past 3 months or so.

its ok doing the DISQ , but thats only the beginning .

The assessment is crunch point.

let us know how you all get on with it ok!!!

May the force be with you ;)

doing mine in 2 weeks ,

I have had me tester and my head stuck in books for the past 3 months or so.

Ive had quite alot of experince,and am a master kitchen/bathroom fitter.
and done a few rewires with my spark.

its ok doing the DISQ , but thats only the beginning .

The assessment is crunch point.

let us know how you all get on with it ok!!!

May the force be with you ;)

Moderater......i clicked on edit and it went in twice, wasnt me! :eek:

What testing equipment are you using ? I've been looking around but can't decide

I use a Megger too, the 1552 which has the auto RCD testing and saves your legs if the circuit and CU are a distance apart.

So far I've found it excellent - the only issue I've found is that the readings for standard and 'no-trip' ELI tests can be wildly different, but I gather that is more to do with the methods used that the specific reader.

I bought mine from ISWWW too btw and found their service excellent.

I did look at some of the cheaper options, but in the end decided it was worth paying the extra for a 'name' and so far seems to be a good decision.

Hope that Helps

Gavin

pcboffinuk said:
I use a Megger too, the 1552.............

I bought mine from ISWWW too btw and found their service excellent.

Second that - megger 1552 purchased from ISWWW - good buy!

Possible you will probably end up using one of these or at least have a choice of a couple whilst doing your PP course - take the opportunity to look at what selection they have available - you'll be drawn to one that you like the look and feel of......Megger 1552 is what my money is on.

May the electrons be with you in your PP quest :)

third that,megger 1552 from iswww

its cool:cool:

That megger does seem an impressive bit of kit.

goldie_x

Good luck for next Fri. What 'regs' book & 'On site guide' book should I get. Looked on Amazon & they had one for £129!! ouch.

Marc

Norv said:
What 'regs' book & 'On site guide' book should I get.

It is a requirement for full scope assessment that you have a current copy of BS 7671, the Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations and the Building Regulations Approved Document P. (see page 184 of the IEE Electrician's Guide to The Building Regulations... another book I would recommend you buy!))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back