Don't buy fence sprayers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please, please, please don't buy the fence sprayers you see advertised.
These are completely inappropriate for houses that are close together like most English streets.

When somebody about 50mtrs away sprayed their fence the wind sent brown stuff all over several houses' white windows.
It took >6 hours of polishing to get the stuff off.

There are no warnings on the boxes, so if you don't want to be sued by your neighbours or have to pay for their windows and conservatories to be cleaned don't buy it!

(rant over)

Sponsored Links
my dad used one, and the coverage was shocking. One 5l tin of paint covered about 2 fence panels :eek: and it went all over the concrete posts and patio. :evil: :evil:

i use them all the time. providing you use a decent sprayer, take account of the wind and some precautions ive never had a problem with them.

Sponsored Links
I've always wondered why they don't sell them pre-treated in a standard colour. That way they could do it in a big warehouse.
If I ever run in to that laughng Kuprinol man I'm going to donk him over the head with a shovel.

JamesA said:
If I ever run in to that laughng Kuprinol man I'm going to donk him over the head with a shovel.

If your going to hit Danny Baker over the head with a shovel I hope your a good runner ;)

I use a standard 50L compressor/airgun combination and have had few problems.

Choose a still day and set the pressure as low as you can get away with.

There may be some dust on the neighbours washing but certainly no wet paint :LOL:

Could I get away with using one of those weedkiller sprayer thingies? Plastic bottle with a pump handle...

Anyone done that?

many thx
nicojo :)

Yep , done that, doesn't work too well as the paint is too viscose and eventually the pigments clog the nozzle. The spray gets everywhere though.

I did a fence around a garden last week. About 32 trellis panels and about 25 half height regular fence panels. With a brush, I'd have been there all week - using that Cuprinol Sprayable it took 13 hours and that was including 2 big sheds too. Took 70 litres of stain though! Fortunately it was a very remote house so there was no problem with overspraying the neighbours. I did manage to paint myself and my boots green though!
You've gotta be careful to sheet over any nearby paving too.
Sprayers get my vote if you're careful.
Notice that the laughing mush on the ad has a fully wooden fence and no concrete posts supporting the panels. ;)

Thermo said:
i use them all the time. providing you use a decent sprayer, take account of the wind and some precautions ive never had a problem with them.

Ditto - I've just done 22 panels in a day and found it quite easy. Yes, you have to be careful but it's worth it!

Expensive though - £20 for the sprayer and £13 for 5l of stuff :(

simonpearce said:
Expensive though - £20 for the sprayer and £13 for 5l of stuff :(
B&Q have an offer on till the 4th (I think) with 20% off gardening products - makes it about £8.70 (ish) for 5 litres. :D

Brushes take too long, sprayers are a social disaster waiting to happen. What's wrong with using rollers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back