Door closer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a block of flats and there's a Yale door closer on the entrance door. It has never worked since I've been here (six years). The door always slams shut instead of closing slowly.

Can it be adjusted, or will it have to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are adjustable and mostly the adjustable tension screw are normally on left or right side of the closer, if not, it maybe under the cover plate etc.

if its the overhead type theres normally two screws under the cover plate that can be adjusted. Normally instructions on the inside as well!

Is it something like this?

lcn_exploded.jpg

some info in here http://www.mfsales.com/book02/546-553.pdf

Sponsored Links
I haven't actually taken the cover off yet. But it looks quite similar to the first one in your pdf link.

I'm a complete novice at these things, is it just a case of prising the case off with a screwdriver then turning the right adjustment screw?

Sorry, never done it myself. But I bet Thermo man has!

if it looks like that. do the following. Get up on a step ladder and have a look at it. The cover will either just pull of or there may be a couple of small screws holding it on. If its a square one there may be a sliding cover that just slides along to expose the adjustment screws. There should be two screws. One will do the speed and the other does the backcheck ie slows the door down in the last bit to stop the slam. If you look at the screws there should be some arrows on them or a + and - to tell you which way to turn it. It doesnt take much to adjust them, just a few turns of the screws. Do one at a time and if you can work out which one is which, do the closing speed first, then the back check after.

They do "die" or get so mucked up that they dont always work after a while. They are not expensive, so if you have no sucess, get on to your agent/council to change it or its actually a very easy job to install one yourself. the instructions are very straight forward in them. You can pick them up in builders merchants for about £25

hope it helps :D

Fixed it :D

Both the screws (on the side) needed adjusting. Now it closes itself very smoothly and shuts without slamming :D Now why didn't I do that six years ago when I moved here? :oops:

Thanks again for your help.

Well done!

Now you know how do do it, a profitable sideline opens up... get some business cards printed and hand then out in shops, offices and pubs!

Well, I don't know if I could call myself a DIY man just because I've fixed one door closer :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back