Door Closer or Anti Door closer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a heavy internal door from my kitchen into the garage.

The door will close on it own and tend to slam.

I have young children and I want to get a 'door closer' or something to slow its closing rate. However if I get a 'closer' won't this just add to the speed it closes as the tension will be in order to close it?

Do I need an anti door closer?

What can I do?

Sponsored Links
futureechos said:
The door will close on it own and tend to slam.
You can buy anti slam door closer and all door closer are adjustable.

Do you have a internal door closer inside the door casing like this?
669611.jpg

Sponsored Links
It was installed before we moved in but yes there is a chain between the door and the frame, I presumed it was security thing?

Can this be adjusted?

futureechos said:
Can this be adjusted?
Yes, not easy though.

You properly don't have the tool for it now, it's like a flat plate with a groove in the middle which clipped onto the chain but you can use a claw of the hammer but be very careful not to lose your fingers :!: Undo the plate on the door frame then pull it out as far as you can then use the claw to grip the chain and turn it anti-clockwise or clockwise for adjusting the tension.

i have the same, its a fire door and i am having the same problem with it slamming.
To solve the problem i found a brass spring door closer which has an adjustable tension arm to close doors, thing is i installed it on the garage side so the door now closes on its own but the closer has reversed and now slows the door down to a click instead of a slam. I got it off ebay, [http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20593&item=5971140556&rd=1]
Works a treat

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
MasonA

I adjusted the door tensioner as you said below and its fine now.

Was quite easy to adjust, I just removed it, adjusted and re-installed.

Many thanks!

Mark

You must still have your fingers if you're still typing the keyboard :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back