Door handle problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ;) the handle on my front door (upvc) has been playing up for some time. It is very hard to lock. When I removed the handle I noticed that the square socket where the bar goes through for the handles is split so when the handle is pushed up the socket opens up and therefore does not operate the locking bars fully. Can I get a new lock mechanism or is it a new door :( cheers

Sponsored Links
What is split the Plastic or the internal mech?
If it’s the plastic I’d say you need a new door, if it’s the mech, you might be able to get a new backsett, if you can find one

Hi Nikonan, ;) it`s the mechanism. The cam lever with the square hole in it that the square bar passes through to connect the handles has split. I will have to have a ring around.......cheers for that :)

You should be able to get a standard door mech (just with rollers) and fit it yourself, if your wanting to replace a mech with claws etc then you might struggle to fit it, this could require a lot of routing to the door and casing, also you would need new keeps.
The best way is take the door mech out (easy enough) and take it with you.
Just remember when you take out the door mech, you’ll need to remove the key barrel, if you didn’t know? you insert the key turn the key a little then withdraw the barrel.
Good Luck

Sponsored Links
If you've a local locksmith, take the mechanism with you and they should be able to supply a near replacement - without having to do any routing on the frame or door. If you go to double glazing firms, they'll try and sell you whatever model they buy in bulk and fit.

Alternatively, there are internet distributors that will help you to identify your mech and then sell you a replacement. Try http://www.multipointlocks.co.uk/ (I've used these in the past when my usual wholesalers couldn't deliver on products)

Thanks for the info guys. That web site looks useful I will find out my lock make and sort it...cheers again folks.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back