door problem

C

cabot

I have the same problem with my Wickes conservatory with the french doors.
One of the doors seems to have dropped on one side and is catching on the other.There doesn't seem to be any means of adjustment.How do i go about fixing this problem as i have an uneven gap at the top which lets in daylight? do i have to remove the door from the conservatory and start to remove the glazing beads, then re square it up or what. If so how easy are they to remove and what sort of tool should i use bearing in mind i don't want to damage the plastic glazing beads?

Please do not hijack posts (forum rule 20) your post has now been split

Sponsored Links
cabot said:
I have the same problem with my Wickes conservatory with the french doors.
One of the doors seems to have dropped on one side and is catching on the other.There doesn't seem to be any means of adjustment.How do i go about fixing this problem as i have an uneven gap at the top which lets in daylight? do i have to remove the door from the conservatory and start to remove the glazing beads, then re square it up or what. If so how easy are they to remove and what sort of tool should i use bearing in mind i don't want to damage the plastic glazing beads?

Most likely that the double glazed units need bracing (toe & heel)

Glassman said:
Most likely that the double glazed units need bracing (toe & heel)

Don’t know who put your doors in but this should have been done as part of the installation. Problem is a that lot of (so called) fitters either don’t know how to put the glass in properly or many of those that do can’t be bothered, knowing full well that by the time the weight of the glass starts to cause problems they are long gone!

If you can, call the original fitter back to adjust the door properly; if not be wary unless you’ve done it before & get some good instruction. I would try adjusting the doors first (although this may only prove a temporary fix if the glass has not been properly supported in the first place).

Not familiar with Wickes doors but there should be an adjustable Allen screw underneath each hinge to lift the door & another one at 90 degrees to allow you to tilt the door in the frame; further adjustment is possible on the latching mechanism to ensure the doors pull into the gasket & give an air tight seal; no air tight seal & you might as well not have bothered with DG!

No adjusters on the door to cure this problem.From what i can see the one door we normally open is dropping at the middle causing it to scuff on the other door.I reckon the door has to be removed completely from the conservatory,dg unit taken out then the door re squared so that everything is at right angles to each other before the glass is refitted.Problem is.........how do you get the beading out? I take it is just clipped in.Could i use something plastic to do this all the way around if i take my time ?

Sponsored Links
cabot said:
how do you get the beading out? I take it is just clipped in.

Use a narrow scraper to lever the centre of one of the longest beads out first; once you have one out the rest are relatively easy to lever out from the open corner. When you refit the beads leave one of the longest till last & engage each end of the bead first then work towards the centre. There are usually 2 lips on the beading, make sure the inner lip engages correctly or the outer lip won't; it can require some force to fit the last one & a bash with a rubber mallet usually does the trick! When you refit the glass, brace it properly as should have been done in the first place!

How do you brace the glass properly to stop the same thing happening again?
Is there any thing that should be used to stabilise the dg unit and stop it from moving again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back