Door says open when closed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Got a wired alarm, and have just updated the panel.

All the sensors work great, except that one door when opened shows "closed" on the panel and when closed shows "open".
They are all wired in exactly the same way!

I've tried swapping the wires around in the door sensor, but this didn't help.

Any ideas?!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you have a different contact N/O instead of N/C. You can remove the contact and with the use of a magnet and a multi meter test for continuity. You should get a beep when the magnet is next to the contact and no beep when you pull it away.

i doubt that is the case, since it would have worked with existing panel, i bet its got resistors.

what was the panel, and was is the new panel

The new alarm is a Friedland SA5.

I've taken the door contacts out and tried swapping the red/yellow wires around.
No difference.

I've manually moved the magnet (turning it either end as well) and it triggers, but "Door Closed" when the magnet is away, and "Door Open" when the magnet is near.

I'm baffled!

Maybe there is a way to program the SA5 to accept a "Door Open" signal as "Door closed"...?!

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
are you sure you configured the correct sensor type when you replaced the panel?

Sorry...generic Jones homes alarm that just says "Logic 4" on the front.

No clues inside what make it is if "Logic 4" is not the make.

Strange now...

Swapped the wiring across to a different door terminal (front door) in the alarm, so the garage door which was giving me problems is now wired into the Front door in the SA5.
Now, if I open the garage door, it says Front door OPEN as it should.

So, from this, I guess the contact and wirings to the box are good.

Re-wiring back to the block in the SA5 and if I open the garage door, it says "Garage door Closed" - ie:wrong!

For what it's worth, there are 4 terminals in the SA5 for hard wired zones. T1-T4

T1,T2 & T3 work fine.
It's just T4 that has the opposite signal sensed for some reason....

I'm stumped now...!

Does the panel have any kind of configuration interface, the sense of sensors should be configurable with most panels.

I've just re-read that last post and it confused me...sorry for not being clear!

In the SA5 there are 4 wired terminals:

T1 - Is attached to the front door
T2 - Is attached to the Patio door
T3 - Is attached to the Kitchen door
T4 - Is attached to the Garage door.

Terminals T1-T3 all work fine, and if I wire the garage door into any of the other terminals, it works fine.
T4 is shoing the opposite sense to the actual door, ie:eek:pen when closed and vice-versa.

The SA5 is brand new, and I can't see a way of programming it to accept an open signal as a closed signal!

Help!

logic 4 is a normal alarm (all br it , it only cost £20)

i am off to do a search

only thing i can find is that its wireless.

what does the manual say?

The logic 4 is the old system.
It's about 15 years old I think!

The new system is the Friedland SA5 which is wireless and wired.

The manual (as far as I can see) has no info for re-configuring door contact polarity/logic.

Thanks for the help guys...

:idea: what happens if you dissconect the tamper for the troublesome door?

breezer said:

My thoughts exactly. The old Logic 4 was a key operated Optima from about 15 years ago. Absolutely nothing programmable in it. Sounds like it is crossed with the tamper to me.

joe-90 said:
breezer said:

My thoughts exactly. The old Logic 4 was a key operated Optima from about 15 years ago. Absolutely nothing programmable in it. Sounds like it is crossed with the tamper to me.

but it took you 11 minutes to figure it out :LOL: :evil:

(only joking)

Well, as yet, I haven't connected the tamper circuit.

I tried disconnecting it from the door sensor, but it made no difference.

I'm not entirely sure if the SA5 has a tamper circuit anyway. There are 4 connectors T1-T4 and a common ground.

All I've connected to the SA5 is those two wires. Red and yellow common ground. It works fine for the other three circuits, but not this one! Besides, as I mentioned beofre, if I plug it into another terminal (t1-T3) it works fine...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back