Doorbell puzzler !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to add a couple of extra doorbells to my home. One upstairs and one in the basement. At present I have a 240/8V 1A transformer and 1 bell.

If I added an extra 2 bells in parallel ??(is this right ?? ) to the existing bell would it do the job. The new bells are rated at 8V 1A.

If as I suspect it won't work should I go and get an extra transformer and if so do I wire it in series or parallel to the existing transformer .

Or do I need a 24V 3A power supply unit which I have seen on ebay !!

Hope you sort of understand my question, and understand that it has to be a bell as I hate the chime sort of doorbell !!

Thanks

Hogg

Sponsored Links
They do need to be in parallel. Assuming you only want one bellpush, you will not be able to use more than one transformer.

If the bells are 1A each, and the transformer is 1A, then you will probably find they won't all ring. There is not much risk of overheating as it is an occasional intermittent load. Don't use ultra-cheap bell-wire, see if you can get a reel of 0.5mm 2-core flex.

You will probably need a >3A transformer at about 8v (there is likely to be quite a lot of tolerance, they'd probably work on 6v to 12v).
if they're made by Friedland or some other major brand, they probably make the appropriate parts. You might need to order. Rapid or Maplin probably have something. You will need a sturdy bellpush, again, you can probably order one. MK for example to one that fits in an architrave box, rated at 6Amp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back