Dormer windows & position of purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i'm thinking of putting in dormer windows front & back of my terraced house. There's loads of them on my street, so no problems with planning. In terms of width of dormer, I'm gona copy the biggest on my street. But the problem i've got is with the roof height of the dormers.

I've got fairly low sloping attic ceilings at the moment, and the purlin is at an awkward position if we wanted dormers put in. I've had two builders in:

- one says your gona have to leave the purlin where it is & therefore your
dormer will be a bit smaller (lower celing) than we want.

- another is saying you can move the purlin easily (further up towards the ridge) & therefore get a higher dormer window.

Obviously the higher the dormer ceiling the better, but why would one builder contradict the other???? when i told him what the other guy had said he shrugged his shoulders?????

Can the purlin be moved, & if so by how much? Any advice would be greatly received - thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
purlins are there to lend support to the rafters, they are usually set at centre span, or 1/3 span, 1/4 span, etc, depending on rafter length. should the purlin be moved higher up the roof, (quite an undertaking in itself!) without beefing up the rafters or adding another purlin lower down, then you will compromise the structural integrity of the roof. plus the fact that if the rafters have been birds mouthed onto the purlin you will be left with a weak spot. a structural engineer or good architect would be a good investment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back