double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to replace an existing double switch with a double dimmer. The instructions enclosed are useless and only relate to single switches. Anyway by replicating the original wiring I got both lights to work for a moment and then bang and the fuse was tripped.

The original wiring was thus:
1. Red wire into L2 on switch 1
2. Blue wire into Common on switch 1
3. Yellow wire into L2 on Switch 2
4. second short red wire joining L2 on switch 1 to Common on switch 2

What am I doing wrong with the new double dimmer? I have put back the original switch and it works fine again. :confused:

Sponsored Links
you do not say how you wired the new dimmer, i would assume thye same as the old switch, in that casde it must work, (assuming you have not got anything wrong) also you do not say when it went bang, it may be when you put the switch back you shorted it to earth , then again it may be................

youngrtp said:
I have tried to replace an existing double switch with a double dimmer. The instructions enclosed are useless and only relate to single switches. Anyway by replicating the original wiring I got both lights to work for a moment and then bang and the fuse was tripped.

The original wiring was thus:
1. Red wire into L2 on switch 1
2. Blue wire into Common on switch 1
3. Yellow wire into L2 on Switch 2
4. second short red wire joining L2 on switch 1 to Common on switch 2

What am I doing wrong with the new double dimmer? I have put back the original switch and it works fine again. :confused:

is my car doin OK on fuel?

try givin us ALL the info, then we have a chance of helpin

1. I wired it identically as the old one.
2. I put the first light on that was fine. Then I put the second one on simulanteously and that was when it blew. Then the first one would still work but not the second light.
3. As for the earth. I wired the earth to the new switch (as it is bronze) and then from that to the switch box.
4. There is a possibility that it might have earthed itself, especially if I have done everything else correctly

Sponsored Links
something is not right here, mcbs do not trip becuse of a changed switch, (it worked before then after you put old switch back) i bet you have caught a wire when you put the switch back in the box

youngrtp said:
1. I wired it identically as the old one.

how sure of that are you? have you checked with a multimeter/insuructons that it switches between conatcs the same way as th old switch did?

You're not trying to dim a fluorescent fitting are you? energy saving bulb?

Can you post a picture of the back of the new switch as you have wired it?

If your dimmer switch cares which terminal has the load and which has the live, then I suspect the second dimmer circuit may be wired the wrong way round?

Looking at your initial post, the live goes into L2 on switch 1, but into the common input on switch 2 - try swapping wires 3 and 4 (yellow wire and the red jumper) over, so the red is into L2 on the second switch, and the yellow goes to common.

Sif said:
If your dimmer switch cares which terminal has the load and which has the live, then I suspect the second dimmer circuit may be wired the wrong way round?

Looking at your initial post, the live goes into L2 on switch 1, but into the common input on switch 2 - try swapping wires 3 and 4 (yellow wire and the red jumper) over, so the red is into L2 on the second switch, and the yellow goes to common.

Thanks Sif, I shall try that and see how it goes. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back