Double Glazing - replace old wooden sash frame with timber??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Double Glazing

I’m having new UPVC windows installed. As I still have part of the old sash window frame in (left from previous owner) I want this taken out. I’ve had a quote for a double glazing firm – who said that’s not a problem as they should have been taken out in the first place. Basically said that they would take out all the wooden frame and replace that with timber and then the unit would be put in. Basically the woodframe is what’s in the wall – is this what usually happens. As I understand it if they put wood in the frame and then put the unit in I could possibly get the wood part plastered over which isn’t a problem as I’m getting the rooms all replastered/skimmed. Hopefully you can understand my explanation. I hope someone can explain if this what usually happens. They are a reputable firm and he also showed me a photo of how the window with the timber would look.

Please read the forum rules.

You can use the
icon_edit.gif
button to correct errors, and the Preview button to check

Sponsored Links
CordlessJoe said:
They are a reputable firm and he also showed me a photo of how the window with the timber would look.
Just taken out 7 wooden sliding sashes windows and a bay windows replaced with upvc sashes :mad:

What a lot of them do is to make a frame then plaster expanding wire mesh back to the wall, I didn't, I do brickwork and make goods then plaster over it, then use upvc architrave moulding with no wood showing etc

Thanks Masona - i know when i had some other windows done - they put in some kind of straight edge post with mesh (sorry dont know what that is but you in the know might) and they plaster it all up so that I was left with nice edges. Im going to have to call them again anyway but Im sure they wont do the "brick work" i do remember him mentioning that some people use expanding foam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back