double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I planning to fit double glazing units in old sash windows. Any experience, stories, things to avoid would be welcome. The available space to make a rebate is limited, how would you secure the unit so it looks ok, doesn't fall out, doesn't clash with the upper window on openning or trap rain water?

Sponsored Links
I've seen these. Victorian Scottish architects obviously felt people north of the border didn't require counter weights to life the windows, unlike their neighbours! We have no weights or pulleys, just brute strength! The question is how to weatherproof the dg units. I can router out sufficient depth of the sashes but how to secure them: with putty? battens?

What benefits do you perceive from fitting double glazing? From what I understand it takes ages to pay back the cost from the heat savings, and you'd need gaps for the windows to move anyway. If you seal the gaps, you get ill from lack of ventilation you no longer have.

Sponsored Links
If you are still there Oilman..,
The existing windows are very old, with poor quality glass that has sagged over the years making for a wobbly view. (Some people like this - not me!) The paint job is appalling with great splurges of paint on the glass, and the putty is falling out. So I'm in for a renewal of some kind or other. The timber framing is sound. So my options are:
Do nothing,
Re-do the painting and live with the wobbly glass,
Get in the double glazing cowboys with their chain saws and angle grinders, not to mention the infuriating salesmen,
Obtain dg units from the glaziers and stick them in myself. Hence the query in the forum.

The benefits are: I get a spanking new, nice looking bay window, more warmth ( I will only keep one opening sash, the others will be fixed - so minimum draughts). Whether it takes 5 years or 50 years to re-coup the expense is not really the issue. Do you have any experience of this or are you just passing the time of day? (no insult intended!)

If you can route out enough of the sash to take a double glazed unit of a minimum 4:6:4 which means 4mm glass : 6mm cavity : 4mm glass and still have enough left for a bead then that will be the best option in my opinion.

Sorry I haven't been here for a while,

Do you have any experience of this ...........

Well yes and no, we live in a house with single glazing as the cost/benefit calculation for double glazed units including projected maintenance of failed units just didn't work out.

We have wooden frames, and the biggest and most noticable benefit was changing from metal frames to wooden frames. Going to double glazed as well I couldn't see was justified. We do have 2 DG Velux roof units in for about 15 years, one of which has failed and looks worse than wobbly glass with the mist inside. This failed after around 6 years.

oilman said:
we live in a house with single glazing as the cost/benefit calculation for double glazed units including projected maintenance of failed units just didn't work out.
Agreed,but you could go further by adding Energy Saving Glass.The only advantage I would say with a DG unit is no more taking two weeks off for painting the windows!

The only advantage I would say with a DG unit is no more taking two weeks off for painting the windows!

I don't either, I oil the frames with tung oil. It's dead easy to apply, does not skin if done properly. I can stop and start at will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back