Double Insulated Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit 3 GU10 Max 35W downlights in my bathroom. The existing setup has a ceiling rose with two 3 core light circuit cables and a switch cable. The downlights are double insulated therefore not having a earth. What should I do with the earth wire? I am planing to fix a 4 terminal 30A junction box to take the existing lighting circuit cables and the switch cable and then feed off to a second junction box with the 3 feeds for the downlights. Is this the best way forward or am I way of the mark?

Thanks Mark

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply jj4091, can you expand?

You cannot use conceiled junction boxes, the work is notifiable under part p, you have to be aware of the different zones in a bathroom & what type of equipment you can use in them.

Sponsored Links
Hi jj4091,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm aware the work is part p and I will get it assess once I have completed it. The location of the lights will be in Zone 2 (0.6m horizontally away from the bath. If I can't use concealed junction boxes , what would be the best way to install this set up?

Mark

The fittings must be rated at IP44 at least & I would use a chock block connector & plenty of spare cable at each fitting, so that you can pull them out to gain access.

Opps sorry I should have mentioned they are IP23 rated. Any chance you could show some kinda diagram to show how the choc box + downlights would be wired in? Thanks M

whoami said:
Opps sorry I should have mentioned they are IP23 rated. Any chance you could show some kinda diagram to show how the choc box + downlights would be wired in? Thanks M

loop in/out lighting wiring with a choc-block above the fitting is just the same as with a ceiling rose - it's just a glorified choc-block anyway.

Diagrams in the Wiki

whoami said:
Hi jj4091,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm aware the work is part p and I will get it assess once I have completed it. The location of the lights will be in Zone 2 (0.6m horizontally away from the bath. If I can't use concealed junction boxes , what would be the best way to install this set up?

Mark

You will notify LABC BEFORE you start, they may want to inspect at first fix and after completion. Its not a case of just getting them round after to see if it "looks alright". May cost you £100 too! Can't be much more than that for a scheme sparks to do it for you and test it!

PS IP23 is less than IP44, so not sufficiently rated.

No personal offence intended here, but this just shows that even those who are aware of Part P, don't fully appreciate the details. John Prescott needs a slap, but we knew that anyway!

whoami said:
Hi,

I want to fit 3 GU10 Max 35W downlights in my bathroom. The existing setup has a ceiling rose with two 3 core light circuit cables and a switch cable. The downlights are double insulated therefore not having a earth. What should I do with the earth wire? I am planing to fix a 4 terminal 30A junction box to take the existing lighting circuit cables and the switch cable and then feed off to a second junction box with the 3 feeds for the downlights. Is this the best way forward or am I way of the mark?

Thanks Mark

:rolleyes:

Mark, as posted they need to be minimum IP44 rated. I assume you have access above the bathroom ceiling to install JB's so they need not be concealed. I would prefer the use of JB's instead of chock block connector shoved up through the ceiling, as this is not compliant with regulations.

If you do not have access from above, then use the smaller JB's that will fit the apperture for the downlight, thus providing access for maintenance/inspection in future.

You must take the earth wire to the light fitting, so that in the future a non class 2 fitting can be used if required. This can be terminated on a chock block and sleeved in green/yellow. As the downlights you have purchased are not suitable, better still buy ones with an earth provision, good quality ones will have this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back