Double Oven and Hob Wiring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to replace an existing electric double oven and separate electric hob with new models in the near future. At present, the circuit from the consumer unit is protected by a 32amp breaker and I believe the cable is 6mm. In the kitchen, the cable goes into the cooker control unit and from there, it goes into a heavy duty junction box, which feeds the existing oven and hob using 6mm cables. The oven and hob are located next to each other and the cooker control unit also contains a socket, which is currently being used by the extractor fan.

The new oven and hob have not been purchased yet but the oven I am looking at has a rating of 3.95kW (fuse rating 20amps) and the hob has a maximum rating of 6.4kW (fuse rating 30amps).

First question: can I assume that the existing wiring is suitable for the new appliances?

Second question: I am thinking of moving the hob to the other side of the kitchen (to be on the outside wall for the extractor fan). The distance would be about 5m from the cooker control unit. My initial thought was to replace the hob cable with a suitable length of 6mm cable and to put a second cooker control unit next to the hob. I would also replace the existing cooker control unit with a suitable cooker switch, removing the socket. Does this sound acceptable?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back