Double oven and separate ceramic hob...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm fitting a new double oven on one side of the room and a ceramic hob on the other. There is apprx 4m between them. Do they each need a separate cable back to the c.u. or should you 'daisy chain' from one to the other (post a switch and outlet)?

Thanks

(all my work will be certified by a proffesional at the end, assuming I get it right of course!) :confused:

Sponsored Links
Check the rating on the oven. Quite often the oven doesn't need any more than a 13a supply so feeding a fused unit from a socket circuit for that will do.

The hob however is a different matter and will need the appropriate cable and mcb for the power rating. This will need to be direct back to the cu. If there is a considerable distance between the hob and the cu this can affect the cable and fuse requirements.

jonathan.hancock said:
(all my work will be certified by a proffesional at the end, assuming I get it right of course!) :confused:
1) Have you found somebody prepared to "certify" work done by somebody else?
2) Are you planning this for your own peace of mind, or because you think that's how to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations?

First of all, the oven is 5.1KW so too much for a 13A socket. So back to the original question...

"I'm fitting a new double oven on one side of the room and a ceramic hob on the other. There is apprx 4m between them. Do they each need a separate cable back to the c.u. or should you 'daisy chain' from one to the other (post a switch and outlet)? "

Second (BanAllSheds). I have spoken to a local electrician (he is Part P regestered) who says he will give me a 'periodic inspection' certificate if the work he checks is acceptable. I want to do this so I'm not breaking the law and also for peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
If you can, a seperate feed from the CU is preferable to daisychaining them. But you will need 2 cooker control units, some of them are cute little fellas nowadays though, not as intrusive as they used to be ;)

jonathan.hancock said:
Second (BanAllSheds). I have spoken to a local electrician (he is Part P regestered) who says he will give me a 'periodic inspection' certificate if the work he checks is acceptable. I want to do this so I'm not breaking the law and also for peace of mind.

There is no such thing as a Periodic Inspection Certificate. I believe you mean an Periodic Inspection Report. To comply with the regs then an Electrical Installation Certificate is required as I am sure your sparks knows this and will not issue one for the reasons BAS has outlined.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back