Downlighters...but with low energy bulbs...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For 2 bathrooms and the kitchen want to install downlighters, but want to use low energy bulbs instead of the normal halogen. Is this possible, and any tips about where to find them on the web?

Thanks

Henrik

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I've a mixture of low energy and LED lamps in the bathroom. This way the colour is good for make-up and there is no delay in obtaining light at night. The low energy take a second or two to come on, the LEDs are instantaneous.
HTH

Is it possible to get these low energy lights spotlights with an IP65 rating?

Sponsored Links
deko said:
Is it possible to get these low energy lights spotlights with an IP65 rating?
Yes. You need a standard IP rated GU10 fitting, BUT it must be one with a flylead lampholder.

The larger CFL lamps will not fit in a fitting with a fixed lampholder, it must be on a flylead.

Now I know this is a silly question but, whats a flylead lampholder?
:confused:

deko said:
Now I know this is a silly question but, whats a flylead lampholder?
:confused:
A lampholder on a piece of wire, rather than being fixed to a frame on the spotlight fitting. Being on a piece of wire, it will allow for bigger lamps to be fitted, whereas if it were fixed to the frame, bigger lamps would stick out of the front!

My bathroom is a small square. My original plan was to have four energy saving downlights, as posted in the post above by crafty.

However these don't appear to have an IP rating, so I'm guessing they are only suitable for zone 3. This would cover two of the four lights.
The other two lights will be fitted above the bath/shower, which makes this zone 2.

I cannot find any IP44 or IP65 rated low energy (CFL) lights anywhere? Is there a reason for this?

deko said:
I cannot find any IP44 or IP65 rated low energy (CFL) lights anywhere? Is there a reason for this?
Probably due to lack of demand, however, I'm sure you will find IP rated standard downlighters suitable for CFL lamps.

I fitted three standard ones in our bathroom, despite them being in zones, just because I dont care about safety, obviously not recommended. We all know / have the common sense - not to touch them. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back