Downstairs Loo extractor fan...

cjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any idea if it HAS to duct to the outside?

We've had a downstairs loo installed in our understairs cupboard - we have a Victorian House which has tonnes of clearance under the floorboards.. .. we want to duct the fan just under the floor rather than take all the floors up to get to the outside wall.

Anyone got any experience of whether this will pass building regs? it will be a complete pain in the bum to vent to the outside if we don't have to...

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds daft to me. You vent the loo to get rid if the smells and to remove any build up of gas. If you vent it under the floorboards isn't the smell just going to come through again :confused:

Have you had a look under your floor? Some of those old houses have quite a lot of crawl space down there and there are even gaps in the sleeper walls. Once you have a way in you might find you have access to the entire sub-floor space.

To answer the original question, I'm not an expert on building regs but somehow I don't think it'll pass. From a building inspector's viewpoint this looks like a subfloor space filling up with methane. Anybody got a light?

Sponsored Links
The LEL for methane is 5% by volume. If you had a process going on in your lav which was producing that much methane I think you'd have a great deal more to worry about that what the Building Inspector said....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back