DPC/DPM arrangement acceptable?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building an extension at the back of the house. I'd like to have the ffl almost at ground level, to allow elderly mum to get into the back garden through french doors without having to negotiate steps.

Anyone see any problems with the arrangement in the picture, or suggest alternatives? (sending pic to admin for uploading)

I want some idea from experts here (are you online, masona??) in preparation before speaking to BC, 'cos the inspector on my project hasn't got very good listening skills and seems to make his mind up about things off the top of his head. For example, although calcs show that I need 60mm insulation under the slab and 40mm in cavity, he's insisting on 80/60 and isn't interested in looking at any calcs to justify thinner. I don't want to argue with him so I'm taking line of least resistance and doing what he says (even though more expensive). :confused:

One point not shown in the pic. I'll be putting peep-weeps in external perps just above "radon membrane."

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Great site!! :D

Sponsored Links
it is possible to flash a lead upstand to deal with a dpc ground breach, ask your bco about it.

I'd like to have the ffl almost at ground level,

The floor is usually always above ground level. The ground is lower than the DPC level to allow for rising damp. But, yes if you have the FFL around the same height, you can probably just overlap the DPM. This thread could be of some use to you:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65939

I'll be putting peep-weeps in external perps just above "radon membrane."

What is this underlined? :confused:

Not feeling very useful today though I'm afraid :(; a lot on my mind. I shouldn't be on here giving advice when I feel like this. I'm going to go and read my DIY book with a cup of tea.

Peep weeps are those little plastic channels to let water out of the cavity, fitted into the perpendicular mortar joints. The radon membrane is where the dpm under the slab is folded over the internal leaf, downwards across the cavity and out through the external leaf, to stop radon gas leaking into the building. Where I live is a radon "hotspot."

I think the arrangement will be much clearer if admin can post the pic I sent to them by email.

Thanks for the comments in the meantime anyway.

Sponsored Links
barryo said:
Peep weeps are those little plastic channels to let water out of the cavity, fitted into the perpendicular mortar joints. The radon membrane is where the dpm under the slab is folded over the internal leaf, downwards across the cavity and out through the external leaf, to stop radon gas leaking into the building. Where I live is a radon "hotspot."

Thanks for explaining this.

I think the arrangement will be much clearer if admin can post the pic I sent to them by email.

I could have hosted for you. Nevermind, admin will sort it now :).

Thanks for the comments in the meantime anyway.

No problem. Happy to help wherever possible ;).

Admin don't seem to be doing the uploading of my pic. Perhaps they're too busy?

Can you tell me how to post it?? It's an openoffice.org draw document, but I can convert it to word or .pdf if that's any easier.

Admin don't seem to be doing the uploading of my pic. Perhaps they're too busy?

Maybe they get a lot of upload requests.

Can you tell me how to post it?? It's an openoffice.org draw document, but I can convert it to word or .pdf if that's any easier.

If it's on a server and is a document type of file (not an image file), use the URL tags at the top of your reply screen. If it's on a server and is an image file, use the Img tags instead. Hope this helps. Would like to see your image.

Can't you use the printScrnSysRq key and take a screen shot? If not, try to upload a PDF or word, not a draw document though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back