drafty open fireplace...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, our fireplace is drafty, its an open fireplace with a gas real flame fire, when we look in and up the fireplace up towards the chimney we can see straight into the flu' (is that how u call it?) when its windy u can hear the wind whistling around the top of the chimney and sometimes walking past fire you can feel it around your legs...

how would i go about shutting this off when we're not using the fire?

Sponsored Links
hughesey said:
how would i go about shutting this off when we're not using the fire?

I don't think the regs will allow you to block it off temporarily as the need arose, as there would be a danger that you had 'closed' the flue and forgotten to open it. You wouldn't get a second chance.

You may be able to have a metal liner fitted, as suggested, with a cowl that will reduce the draught, but it could be costly depending upon the design of your property.

Thats the beauty of a gas fire, nearly all of the heat generated is lost, plus you get the added bonus of draughts just to make you curse the day you had it fitted. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Had one of those flame fires once.......... :evil: bin it and have the ocasional real fire. betweentimes stuff a sack up the chimney.you`ll soon remember it when you light the coal :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back