Drain pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice that our front drain pipe, overflows all over the front of the granite and is culturing quiet a garden of moss etc. Now it over flows, because the pipe that is soposed to lead it under the pavement is blocked. its blocked due to road re-serfaceing, the road is now at least 4" higher than it ought to be. Now looking at all other houses in the street, they have had the same problem and almost universally have chopped the pipe off and put a "turn out" on it, discharging over the pavement. i might do the same (probably will).... but im wondering if the council will object. And is it just a question of angle grinder it off and push on a fitting?.... (its a narrow 3"? and appears to be cast iron.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see, you've 3 options.
1 Complain to the team who blocked your pipe - I certainly would.
2 Dig it all up and lay new drains at your own expense.
3 Let it run on the pavement and get good insurance cover for when somebody slips on the moss you've grown. ;)

is it my drain anyway?... certainly its under the councils pavement... everyone in the road seems to let the water flow over the path. As the only other options seems to be, raising the level of the pavement (all along the road) and relaying the underpath drains...

When you get sued after an accident; The case for the defence your honour
everyone in the road seems to let the water flow over the path
won't wash.

Sponsored Links
If your neighbours guttering connects to your downpipe also and your house is pre 1937, it will be the water companies responsibility(or the council if they still have the agency)-quote section 24 to them if this is the case. If not, the pipe belongs to you up until its point of connection with the main, even through the footway and carriageway. I would speak to environmental health who would help you to rectify the problem - I would expect the council to relay it for you through the footway.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back