drainage channels - with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture below shows an alley way I'm planning to brick off. It'll then be knocked through to effectively enlarge the garage to the right (in the picture).

Red lines indicate where the single skin brick wall will be constructed tieing not toothing into surrounding walls.

drain.jpg

At present there is no drainage solutions. Any surface water just runs down the alley and disappears. Very little surface water is ever seen - even after sustained heavy rain.
Bricking off may cause problems so I'm suggesting the following drainage from a small grate by the white door. Sunken gulley through alley, emptying into existing drain just the other side of the white gate.

channels.jpg

Questions.
1) Would the channels above be suitable?
2) Would the brickwork be OK on top of the channel? If not, what would be a better solution?
3) Should the existing concrete groundwork be prepared in any way before brick laying commences?
4) What would be best to open up the concrete for laying channels? Angle grinder / pick / both?
5) Any other advice?

Cheers - first time brickwork project![/img]

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any suggsestions or comments?
Surely it can't be too tough a job?!

Thanks.

Well job is moving on regardless.....

Engineers plans have been forwarded on to BCO regarding wall opening & RSJ / PFC supports. Site building team from my work will be called in for that job.

Channeling has been ordered - but on advice, I've also got a 600mm lintel to go in the 2nd course. This'll be toothed into existing brickwork on one side to spread the load & reduce pressure over the channel.

Currently dismantling a brick BBQ we have and chipping off all the old mortar to be able to recycle the bricks.

Planning to borrow a breaker to open up a slot for the channel.

Well thats the latest...........

i would be inclined to use a trapped gulley that is piped into the existing system down the alley, with a rodding eye at this end.

i would also dig down and lay a foundation for the walls. the shorter span of brickwork could be suspended off a lintel spanning onto the adjacent brickwork, this would allow the drainage pipe clear passage, but only if the existing foundations are sound.

Sponsored Links
AndyBill said:
how did you manage to put those markings on your photo?
I just drew on it using a photo package! Think it was MGi Photosuite.

Regarding foundations - It is in the plan - just not sure how deep / how necessary. What are the rules?

And can anyone suggest opinions on just bricking up to the render level then using thermalite (or equivalent) or even a timber frame & board to save weight? Could these methods be rendered sucessfully to match?

Do I really get anything extra out of bricking it up?

Would a 5 course double skin brick then thermalite to the top save much weight over a single skin?

cheers.

if these items are l.a. controlled then why not ask the b.c.o?

you mentioned 'plan' what does the architect/designer say?

BCO only wanted to hear about the wall opening & beams etc.
Required a building notice only so not much else has been stipulated at present.

i guess it's up to you and your conscience then.

there must be thermal criteria that have to be adhered to in this case?

i would be inclined to build it as robustly as is necessary, making the build compliant with the latest 'u' value regulations. after all, we all want our houses to be saleable once the time comes.

unless you're like Nige F, and will be leaving your house feet first in a box. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back