Drainage from shower tray leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have water leaking from my kitchen ceiling. The kitchen is located directly below the bathroom, so I checked behind the bath panel for leaks - it was bone dry there. I then looked at the shower enclosure, and it looked ok. However, after running the shower for a bit, the water started leaking through the ceiling again. This makes me think that the waste pipe from the shower is leaking.
I also noticed that the 'plug-hole' located in the shower enclosure has no sealant around it, and the whole assembly will move if it is pushed. It is not exactly loose, but it will move. Is it possible that the waste pipes under the floorboards are ok, and the water is finding its way through to the kithcen ceiling from around the plug hole assembly? (I hope that makes sense!)

I really hope this is a simple fix, as I have no access to the shower waste pipe without removing the tiles and shower base.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers - Den.

Sponsored Links
denmachan said:
I also noticed that the 'plug-hole' located in the shower enclosure has no sealant around it, and the whole assembly will move if it is pushed.
Oh dear. :(

It is not exactly loose, but it will move.
Oh dear. :(

Is it possible that the waste pipes under the floorboards are ok, and the water is finding its way through to the kithcen ceiling from around the plug hole assembly?
Not only possible, but, based on the information you've given, quite likely.

(I hope that makes sense!)
It does.

I really hope this is a simple fix, as I have no access to the shower waste pipe without removing the tiles and shower base.
You can try tightening the fitting from the top, but there is a small risk of straining the outlet from the trap and causing a leak there. But I reckon you have to try it.

If it were mine, I'd remove the grid (pull it out) and the top flange (inscrew it) first. McAlpine fittings are easy, but many others are also easy.

Examine (with a torch) the face of the washer that seals against the underside of the tray. If damaged the consider renewing it - you should be able to push a new one through the waste hole. Just push the old one aside and leave it under the tray.

Let everything fully dry out. Consider whether or not to use a bead of silicone sealant on top of the washer - with care you can inject this through the waste hole.

Reassemble the waste and screw up tight. If you used silicone then leave it for an hour before testing.

If it all goes pear-shaped then the usual practice is to gain access from below by cutting a traphole in the ceiling.

Thanks a lot for your swift reply, Softus. I have just been performing a few experiments, namely pouring water directly down the 'plughole', being careful not to allow any to reach the edge of the plughole assembly.
There is no water leak from the kitchen ceiling when I do this, so I reckon you are right.
However, since anything I ever seem to do DIY-wise seems to go disastrously wrong, I think I will get a pro in to help.

Thanks again mate - It's much appreciated.

Cheers - Den.

The force of water on the joints is very low, as is the risk of cock-up.

Without meaning to push you, this is something you can't make worse by having a go.

If you want to try it yourself then you'll get plenty of support and information here. Having said that, there's no shame in getting in an expert.

Sponsored Links
Hi again Softus, I was tempted for a nanosecond to have a go myself, however when you said:

"You can try tightening the fitting from the top, but there is a small risk of straining the outlet from the trap and causing a leak there"

and even more scarily:

"If it all goes pear-shaped then the usual practice is to gain access from below by cutting a traphole in the ceiling"

...you made my mind up for me!

My original post may have given the impression that I fitted the shower myself....nothing is further from the truth. I paid a firm to do it, so I'll get in touch with them and ask them if they could sort it for me.

Cheers anyway - Den.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back