Drainage smell!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise?

Periodically, we get a very bad smell in the kitchen. It used to be when ever it was raining but the problem does not appear to confined to this now. It is a drainage / gasy smell. Its quite hard to distinguish just where abouts the smell is coming from but seems to be slightly stronger towards the back of the washing machine. There is a man hole cover on the drive that , when it's raining, overflows (This is the sewage). Don't know whether this is connected although we suspect that it is. The smell used to linger for about 15 20 mins but now it is lasting longer and is getting to the point that even with the back door ajar, the smell is unbearable.

Regards

Joni

Sponsored Links
I've examined the drain pipe outside, it has a small cover at the bottom that can be removed. whats the best way to clean out something like this.
surely just pouring bleach down it wont work.

ta

Sponsored Links
we have exactly the same problem as you.

You need to buy some caustic soda granules from diy shop (only about £3) and degrease / cleanse all the pipes and drains - this clears the smell for a month / six weeks or so. you then need to repeat the process then.

for the drain outside you should follow manufacturers caustic soda instructions and add granules to a bucket of water stirring til it heats up and then chuck it down. that will cleanse and rid the drain of pungent stench. then go inside and sprinkle some granules directly down the sink plughole. I then usually boil a kettle and tip that down the sink. stand well back after you do this as it will bubble and may even splash back up a bit. after the gurgling noise dies down just leave it a while to clear the grime and then sloosh down with cold water. I even then go upstairs and do the same to bathroom sink, bath and shower plugholes. remember to stand well back again. once youve done all this - the smell should be gone for quite a while.

You obviously need to add this to your hosuehold routine approx bi-monthly.

Hope this helps as it works wonders for us

Thanks very much Dagger

I'm now off to B&Q now to get the tackle you suggested.
hope this works cause last night the stench was so bad it put me off my beer :)

Hope it works - i will let you know

[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back