Draught-proofing a new external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brand new inward-opening timber door fixed in a new timber frame, and when the wind is in the east it whistles in round three sides (the bottom edge seems OK). The gap between the edge of the door and the frame is 6mm, and 10mm between the outer face and the frame. The frame came with a tubular rubber seal in the rebate, but it is very small and the door doesn't quite reach it when closed.

Re-hanging would be difficult. The obvious way to draught-proof the door without an unsightly seal visible externally, is with (max 33mm wide) sprung thin metal V-shaped strip screwed to the frame, to fill the 6mm gap as the door is shutting, but I can't find it on the web, though I have used it often in the past. Focus and B&Q don't have it.

Does anyone know where I can get a 20ft approx roll of it, suitable for a 2ft 6in door? Any help would be much appreciated!

Alan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back