Draughty UPVC Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am renovating a 1950's ex-local authority house that had new double glazed windows and doors fitted 3 yrs ago. Unfortunately, it's looks like a bunch of cowboys ripped off the poor old chap that lived here because its absolutely dreadful. However, it was passed by a building inspector shortly after it was fitted!

The windows are very draughty and not to be leant on as they are not 100% securely fixed. The main problem though is the front door which howells when it is windy and whistles the rest of the time. I have replaced the rubber draught excluder but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a gap between the frame and the brickwork? If so, that can be fixed using expanding foam in a sort of aerosol can. Come back because there are ways to do it neatly and without damaging the plastic parts. I have used it round my wooden frames, it seals draughts and also holds it firmly in place.

If the gap is between the opening part of the window, or the door and the frame, that needs a different approach.

is it very easy to pull the handle up as in locking the door? if so you can adjust the cams, if it has any to pull the door in tighter. they are on the locking edge of the door bout quarter way from top and bottom. usually 4mm allen key. turn them 180 degrees see if that helps.

JohnD said:
If the gap is between the opening part of the window, or the door and the frame, that needs a different approach.

I have a UPVC door with exactly this problem, what is the different approach?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plastic door man, but someone will be along soon, I'm sure ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back