Drayton TRV4 valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixture of Drayton TRV4 and Honeywell radiator valves on my heating system,and I have now had two TRV4 valves where the central pin that opens the valve,has come out a lot further,causing the valve to stay shut all the time(this seems to happen over the summer period when the heating is off).Anybody got any answers as to why or how to cure it or stop it happening to any more?

Sponsored Links
You cure it by replacing the valve.

You prevent it by leaving the valves fully open during the summer. Also weekly open and close them.

Tony Glazier

grassey said:
I have a mixture of Drayton TRV4 and Honeywell radiator valves on my heating system,and I have now had two TRV4 valves where the central pin that opens the valve,has come out a lot further,causing the valve to stay shut all the time(this seems to happen over the summer period when the heating is off).Anybody got any answers as to why or how to cure it or stop it happening to any more?

Am I right in thinking that you've removed the thermostatic head and can see the pin that operates the valve?

If so, and if that pin is at its maximum protrusion, then tapping the pin VERY gently with a hammer, gradually moving it, will free it off. If it got stuck because of a dirty system, then not only do you need to replace the valve but you need to flush the system and use a chemical inhibitor when you re-fill.

I am not sure why you are suggesting that?

These TRVs stick during the summer when they stick DOWN in the OFF position.

No end of tapping them jently with a hammer will free them!

And before anyone suggests pulling them with pliars, doing that will just pull the pin out and leave the seat still jammed firmly down!

Doesn't anyone actually work on real heating systems? Perhaps its all these new NVQ2s with no practical experience?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:

And before anyone suggests pulling them with pliars, doing that will just pull the pin out and leave the seat still jammed firmly down!

Doesn't anyone actually work on real heating systems? Perhaps its all these new NVQ2s with no practical experience?

Tony

I've had a couple that have been proper stuck and require replacement but 99 times out of 100 a couple of sharp pushes on the pin with the side of an adjustable spanner free 'em off no problem.....til next year anyway.

Agile said:

Well, incredibly, you're giving a good impression of being unsure, but the answer is in my posting, immediately after the word "if". Did you get up too early after the hour went back?

Agile said:

Yup - some of them certainly do, which is what led to the creation of this topic. Talking of which, I've failed to find a single way in which your posting actually helped grassey.

Agile said:

Maybe for some TRVs, but for most of them you're just plain wrong.

Agile said:

It seems that you're the first person to mention pulling it with pliars (sic.). Quite bizarre. Perhaps you should take those "pliars" and use them to remove the chip from your shoulder.

Agile said:

Well I know I do, but I'm not so sure about you now. BTW I don't have an NVQ2, but I do know that the word "it's" has an apostrophe in it.

softus said:
but I do know that the word "it's" has an apostrophe in it.
But you don't know how to spell pliers and bizarre and thermostatic.

I see you've edited your posts to remove the errors I referred to. You're obviously a sensitive soul.

chrishutt said:
I see you've edited your posts to remove the errors I referred to. You're obviously a sensitive soul.

No, I'm just an obsessive pedant. Unfortunately, you believing that something is obvious is not the same as that thing actually being obvious. Never assume anything.

Maybe its just that all the ones I have been called to have already failed to respond to the owner tapping and pulling.

One drain that I failed to unblock was attempted by Dynorod who also failed which made me feel better.

Just like the odd drain that I go to that always seem to have had the rest of the world trying to unblock them first.

Also for the record, I do NOT see an NVQ2 as a prerequisite for a capable plumber in fact almost the opposite. Its just that all the newbees think they get an NVQ at the college and then they are a plumber and capable of everything.

Tony

I'll meet you halfway Tony. I think it works out that all the ones that I go to are for existing customers, who already know that if I find the merest hint of a serration on the pin then I announce "rien ne va plus" and just change the valve.

(New customers don't know the rules of course, but they soon learn)

Regarding NVQ syndrome, I completely agree with you.

Softus said:
I announce "rien ne va plus" and just change the valve.

New customers don't know the rules of course, but they soon learn that you are an arrogant pedant, obsessed with your own importance. Better off staying in France, they`re all arrogant tossers :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back