drill lintel for new flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hello all, I want to put in a wood burner, ive knocked through the fireplace and found the existing flue is in the corner of the fireplace, its not a big fireplace so if im going to get a stove in there the flue will need to go straight up, the lintel looks as though half used to just be a shelf and the original fire place was much narrower above the lintel. there is now a stud wall above the lintel, im planning to connect a new central flue into the existing and then box it back in.

Can I drill through the lintel to create a new flue?.. a series of holes in a circle etc? ive just had a quick go with a hammer drill but its not going to happen, will I need an sds drill to do this, or is this a bad idea and should I be thinking of a new lintel?

thanks

Sponsored Links
That's a new one on me.

The existing lintel looks tidy to take a stove flue if it is big enough?

I would be tempted to take the lintel out and pop it back in higher up so you can get the burner and some flue pipe under it and then a couple of bends before connecting to the old flue. Obviously the right hand side needs a little bit of brickwork to suit the revised lintel height. Pretty much the same as you were planning except avoiding a new hole in the lintel!

Before you start just make sure that old flue is suitable and safe.

thanks Blagard, though ive just had a look at taking the lintel out and it looks like its set well back into the partition wall, it might even go into next door by the looks of things? so I dont think taking that out will be easy.

does anyone have any thoughts about drilling it? would another hole weaken it, though its not really holding anything too significant by the looks of things, and will an sds drill get through a lintel?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back