Drilling cast pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I wanted to fit a boss strap to a cast pipe - what would I drill the hole with? Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
good quality HSS drill bit .........stitch drill and knock out ;) last one I did was 1973 :eek:

Sorry this is a shaggy dog story but i feel the detail is important. I was converting a customers shop into a hairdressing salon and had the pleasure of drilling a hole in a vertical 4" cast iron pipe. The pipe was probably 90years old and required a cast boss for the basin outlets.
The adjacent pipe suffered a 500mm vertical split also, so I reasoned that the pipe was fragile and my visual inspection of the installation revealed years of neglect. I had one shot at getting this right because if the pipe failed, i would have to replace the horizontal and vertical runs of some 20 metres at considerable expense.
I purchased two hole saws with a course tooth pitch to the nearest diameter and a course half moon hand file. I marked the hole and stitched drilled the circumference with a 4mm drill bit. hole sawing took a good 40 minutes of constant pressure at a variety of speeds but no speed made any more impact on the other. Keep the cutting tool cool to preserve the hole saw, cast iron cuts dry and does not require a cutting lubricant.
Cut the hole oversize as filing it out by hand and a drill grinding wheel takes a long time to match the hole. The boss spigot is a cast finish and diameter and it may be easier to fettle the spigot in the final stages of obtaining a fit.
You will need a quality silicone sealant applied to all mating surfaces and done at the last stage of installing the boss and associated pipework as movement will undo the seal.
Good luck and be patient as I found it took 2 hours in all.

I wish you hadn't told me that.

How about if I use a 4.5 inch grinder and cut four slots in a square. Hopefully the strap would cover any corners. If I made the square hole smaller than the boss pipe entry I could maybe use a jig saw with a carborundum blade to round it out? There's probably a bit of lubricant on the inside of the pipe :cry:

Sponsored Links
I'm with Nige on this one.

Don't use the grinder method - that really will make the job much harder.

not sure about the silicone .........tho` I like the stuff ...C.I. is sometimes covered with tarry paint ..........the one I did , I made a hemp grommet ;) and the job was 2 storeys up a ladder :eek: at the weekend for ££.............I was young and keen then :LOL:

Brand new hole saw can`t remember what size maybe thirty five mm but it fitted plumb centre boss perfectly took about twenty five mins but felt like a lot longer. Bit of coincidence joe they are playing your music on top gear as i type this

I was once chatting to a plumber about a simular problem and he said use your angle grinder to cut the base of the pipe, put a slate into the gap ,to stop any bits falling into the drains, and then take a lump hammer to it , and then replace with plastic.
the advice did seem a bit drastic. but then he did have a lot of experience.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back