drilling into cast iron pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am making new waste pipe for my sink and it has to be connected to exising cast iron pipe.

what is the best way too do this, ie is it ok drilling through cast iron ????
or will i replace the cast iron pipe with a plastic waste pipe ?????

Sponsored Links
Use a hole saw, drilling through cast iron is a doddle.

try and get the correct cutting oil, and under no circumstances allow the blade to get hot as it will case harden the cast

You do not lubricate cast iron drill it dry as the graphite contained in the iron makes it self lubricating. Case hardening is also a completely different process, work hardening is the phrase you are after but unlikely with CI.

Make sure you use a good quality holesaw not ome of the cheap multi sets.

Jason

Sponsored Links
drilling cast iron is fine as long as the chrome content is low , use a slow speed on the drill.

Jasonb said:
You do not lubricate cast iron drill it dry as the graphite contained in the iron makes it self lubricating. Case hardening is also a completely different process, work hardening is the phrase you are after but unlikely with CI.

Make sure you use a good quality holesaw not ome of the cheap multi sets.

Jason
Well said, you old metallurgist ;) Starrett Holesaws are the canine testes

There may be a thin relatively hard 'skin' of chilled iron on the surface of cast iron. That's an artefact of the casting process. Once you have broken through that, cast iron usually cuts easily.

If you want to get the best life from the hole saw, a cutting speed of about 60 - 80 feet per minute is usually considered about right for cast iron. That's about 120 - 160 RPM for a 2" saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back