Drilling through engineered brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to get a waste pipe for a sink through an external wall - the problem is the outer brick is old engineered brick and doesn't won't give in without a fight. I broke a standard masonry drill bit just trying to drill a hole for a screw in one of these!

Can anyone tell me if I can drill through this brick easily? Do I need a special drill?

I'm tempted to remove a whole brick, cut it to size and then replace it. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance for your help...
R1

Sponsored Links
you could hire a diamond hole cutter and drill from a hire shop

if you intend to drill in future invest in a cheap sds drill, the ends of the bits move in and out of the chuck
the drill bits are quite dear but they go through concrete like butter with hardly any wear to the bit. your only problem might be the cost of a 50mm dia drill bit so the previous reply might still be your best bet but a sds drill is essential fir diys.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you check which type of SDS drill you have, you can get SDS or SDS Plus. Also don't get a cheap bit, I have seen cheap bits melt trying to get through concrete....and last but not least, don't do what most 'rag heads' do and drill from the inside, you will only blow off the face of the bricks on the outside, always drill from the outside.

Diamond drill cutters are very good and neat and tidy, but used by inexperienced people...I've seen more wrists strained and broken though people not instructed how to use them, take great care!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back